Uri/pnemonia: When to give up? 😞 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Default Uri/pnemonia: When to give up? 😞

Hi There,
My Sweet Humbi (5yrs old, he'll be 6 in 3 months) has been suffering from serve respiratory infection. I initially took him to the vet on 30Nov and he was diagnosed with a Uri. Until now he has been a happy and healthy little hog with no major health issues (only a couple of feet issues a few years back).

The vet prescribe batril x2 daily for a week. He didn't improve and started to lose his appetite. I wish my vet had recommended probiotics but didn't until much later. I took him back and the vet told me to bring him in daily for baytril and metacam injections and to be put on the nebulizer. He got better for a day and then got worse. They did an xray and it showed his left lung has completely filled with fluid. His breathing is laboured. I hired a neubulizer and have been neubulizing about 4 times a day, it seems to help him bring up mucus which seemed very thick a couple days ago. He isn't walking much (about 30cm -1m at a time whereas he used to roam the entire house). He isn't eating so I am syringe feeding him Veggies and baby food. I live in South Africa, and its summer so it is quite hot but I still give him hot water bottles. My vet hasn't been very clear about whether or not he can survive and I worry that I am making him hold on and struggle for nothing. At the same time I have a hard time wrapping my head around having him eutuanized. Has anyone elsr had a hedgie survive being this sick? Am I being naieve?

Also, previously I had rats who struggled from respiratory issues and i used cortisone inhalers on them
Could this help Humbi?
JessielovesHumbi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 72

In regards to Humbi
This is only my opinion but to me it sounds like you have gone to great lengths and that he is really struggling. Vets generally will continue to treat as long as there is a chance and a heartbeat....but sometimes as a pet parent we need to know when to let go. When the struggle has turned into suffering we need to do what's best for them. It's not giving up but it's not prolonging misery either. I had to come to a quality of life decision with my 19 yr old Persian cat a few weeks ago and he was still eating and purring but couldnt clean himself and had neurological disorders and food absorption problems. For him not me I had to let him go. I wish you the best it's a hard decision and you are a very caring person.
Darcie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's been a sad, sad weekend 😞 Possible cancer SarahP Health 13 11-22-2018 04:03 AM
HARD BUMP on chin, very worried please help 😞 hedgie_lover24 General Questions 4 05-21-2018 09:13 PM
Olive oil in eye! Please help! 😞 hedgie_lover24 General Questions 2 04-13-2018 10:30 AM
Plz give me advice on what food I should give her. Kazuki7171 Diet and Nutrition 0 07-13-2015 02:45 AM
does he have pnemonia??? Loki's love General Questions 9 12-20-2014 04:41 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum