Biting - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kalandra

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Biting

hey there so I'm still new at being a heddgie mom so lately my girl princess has been biting now I got her at 6 weeks old and she is 15 weeks old now I wash my hands before and after each handling of my girl Princess 🦔👑 I spot clean her cage every day i fully clean her cage once or twice a week she eats great and snacks lots of shes and she is out of her cage alot of the day in her playpen or on me or she started running around my room lol however the last 9 days she has been biting me today I was just holding her watching a show and she chomped down and starting really biting for dear life now this is all new behaviour and I really don't understand where its coming from any advice and suggestions would be extremely extremely appreciated thanks in advance
Cassandra
princess08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

I took in an abandoned hedge that had a biting problem for a bit. It could be from stress or being nervous or uncomfortable. Hedgehogs don't normally bite. With Phyllis I would hold her regularly and randomly give her treats when I held her. If she bit, I wouldn't feed her treats, and I would blow a little puff of air on her. She stopped biting pretty quickly and just became more comfortable with me and her surroundings. It's also good not to pull away when being bit I think.

And sometimes it's not stress related, maybe they don't like your lotion or hand soap, or maybe you smell like another animal.
Walnutito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

How do you react to the biting? Most biters I have had came to me that way because they learned that if they bite they get what they want (often to go back to their cage) from their previous homes. We have to teach them that their biting doesn't achieve what they think will happen.

With biters I tend to watch their behavior. Often I can tell when they are going to bite and just make sure that my skin is not near their mouth at that point. If I miss a signal and get bitten, I deal with the bite. Don't blow in their face, or do anything negative to them. They don't understand punishment. It often just makes them more scared or mad and in their minds it reinforces that they need to bite. Don't put them down, or back in their cage. If they bite when trimming nails, I continue to play with their feet even if the nail trimming is done for the night. I continue to hold and do what I was doing with them for at least 10 minutes after a biting episode so that they don't associate the bite to going to bed, etc.
nikki likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

My boy bites alot too. I had a post about it aswell. I've adapted what Kalandra does, pulling away when he's about to bite. His biting hasn't gone down at all, but him coming into contact with my skin has.

I don't know if its progress though, but he has started to move his mouth slower when he goes to bites me. Usually he'd snap at me really quickly, but now, he goes slowly, almost as if he's trying to do it in slow motion. Does this mean he is stopping or does it just mean he's too lazy to go quickly?

And my mom spoke to a woman who rescues hedgies, and the woman said that some hedghogs are just naturally biters, and you can't stop it.

Negative reinforcements is a no.
And if she does chomp down, don't pull away, wait till she let's go herself.

Now I know that's a painful thing to do, but if you try pulling away, it might drag her along and cause you an open wound, which wouldn't have been one. (I speak from experience here &#x1f605 I had multiple open wounds from my boy biting me.

One question though, how does she bite? Does she chomp down and shake her head while pulling at your flesh? Or does she chomp and release?
OddDarkMatter91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in