Please Help , hedgehog not eating - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By That-Sam-I-Am

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please Help , hedgehog not eating

Me and my boyfriend bought a hedgehog on Saturday. We brought him home, set up his cage and put his food and water in. We bought the food he was eating at the pet store and put some of that in a bowl (I measured it) along with some water and some dried meal worms the pet store said he likes. By Monday he had still not eaten or drank anything at all so we brought him to the vet. The vet suggested putting other foods in there and told us if it doesn’t change in a few days to bring him back. We added hedgehog food, live meal worms, strawberries and the kitten food along with water. Woke up today and he still ate nothing. Not a single thing and no water 😞 I counted each piece of food and measured the water to see if he was eating and nothing. Any suggestions?
That-Sam-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

What's the temperature of his cage? If he's too cold he won't eat and just want to sleep. It is usual for them to eat less when first bringing home but should eat a little. I was told to add a little water to the kibble to make the smell more apparent and tempt my boy and it did help when he first came home. Also does he have a light schedule, about 12 hours of daylight provided by artificial light and then 12 hours of darkness? Is there any light entering his cage during the night?

If he hasn't eaten a single thing then it's best to start syringe feeding him before he becomes weak and lethargic. Increase the heat a little in his cage too. If you try to hand feed him is he still not interested? Is his belly warm?
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Same thing happened with me and my hedgie. I think we kind of ended up waving the kibbles in front of her face a lot so she could recognize that she was supposed to eat it. She then started eating, very little at first, but once she realized how yummy it was she ate a ton!! Now she's eating normally.
Same with water. I had to kind of put the spout of the bottle right in her face until she learned how to use it.
Kolya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

His cage is 24-26 Celsius, I’ll try adding water to his food but I’m just so worried about him he has 4 different food options and water as well. He has artificial light during the day and during the night for a heat source the vet said to use a infrared light/heat source so that’s on at night time. He does come out and walk around and he’s been on his wheel because I can hear him on it sometimes
Old 10-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have tried to hand feed him while out of his cage and also tried putting his food and water dishes near him
Old 10-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to start syringe feeding him right away. After a couple of days of not eating, fatty liver disease can start and the longer they don't eat the less they feel like eating. You can get either some Hills A/D or some carnivore care from your vet and supplies to syringe feed.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

We used a syringe initially and then also urgent care a/d as recommend by our breeder. It did the trick. He needs to get hydrated quickly.
Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2018, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I wouldn't use an infrared light for night time heating. I had one at first too and my boy was less active and barely ate. I switched to a CHE which emits no light and he became way more active and his appetite perked up. Even one night the CHE bulb needed replacing (my fault) and I had to swap in his old red heat lamp and that one night it was being used he didn't wheel or eat much.

Have you started syringe feeding now? Is his appeptite perked up? I'd suggest also feeding only the one food he is use to in his cage. New food can cause food strikes if not introduced slowly (again I learnt the hard way!).
Get some hills ad or carnivore care to syringe feed. Either will help boost his appetite and then leave his regular food in his cage in case he decides to eat by himself during the night. Count the pieces so you know if any were eaten the following morning.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2018, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

He’s all good! The day I posted this he ate afterwards 🙂 and he’s been eating and very active every since. I do agree with the infrared light tho I turned it off and that’s when he started eating and coming out more. Thank you everyone for the suggestions. 🙂 I did add a little water to his food and he ate it that night.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

He’s all good! The day I posted this he ate afterwards 🙂 and he’s been eating and very active every since. I do agree with the infrared light tho I turned it off and that’s when he started eating and coming out more. Thank you everyone for the suggestions. 🙂 I did add a little water to his food and he ate it that night.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in