Hunger Strike- Medication and Feeding schedule - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2018, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello everyone, my little boy Petey decided to stop eating and today I took him to the vet. The veterinarian prescribed Oxbow Critical Care (1 Tablespoon a day and they said to give it throughout, and to do 1/4 tablespoon at a time. 2 Parts dry product with 1 part warm water), Famotidine Suspension (0.25ml every 12 hours for 7-10 days),
and Sucralfate Suspension (0.25 ml every 12 hours for 5-7 days. Give one hour before or after any other oral medication).

I brought him back home at 4pm and started the feeding at 7pm. This is my first time doing it and it broke my heart to have to syringe feed but I want my baby to get better.
Instead of the curved 10ml syringe I used a 1ml syringe as I thought it would be easier at first, I was only about to get .5cc into him. I know that isn’t nearly enough for him but I don’t want to stress him out too much with this at once. He’s keeping it down and doesn’t seem to mind the food.

Since it’s night I haven’t done the medicine yet but I was thinking about doing this schedule for tonight but I don’t know if it would be too much for him.

At 8:30pm I’ll do the medicine that can only be done one our before or after the other.

Around 9:40pm I’ll do the next one.

And around 11pm I was going try to feed again, how much food should I try to get into him? Do I need to get up during the night to do this? My little boy generally only eats at night and sleeps in the day. On the rare occasion I do catch him drinking during the day.

He’s a habit hibernator if given the chance so I keep his cage hotter than what is normal but it works for him and has for over a year now and he doesn’t seem to mind it. He gets light all day until it’s night. The vet said he’s 453 grams but I’m going to assume he’s lost weight, I don’t have a scale but I’m planning on getting one as soon as I can. He eats spikes ultra delight and that’s what he’s been on since I brought him home from the breeder, he loves cilantro which I was giving to him every night and then he stopped eating.
Was I giving him too much cilantro? He was only given 1 to 1 1/2 sprig, no stem. He just loves it.

My question is is the schedule I have for tonight too much? What should I do for tomorrow? Should I give the medication tonight or start it tomorrow? How should I go about feeding him?

If I follow tonight’s schedule as I listed, then tomorrow would be

Around 8:30am the medicine he can only have 1 hour before or after another

Around 9:40am the next medicine

Then feeding throughout the day.
If I can only get .5cc in (I’m trying to get him used to more because this is too little) how often should I feed? The .5cc was just because .5cc didn’t make it in.
Should I go straight for the bigger syringe to get more in? The small one was easier to get food in without the air bubbles because I didn’t make enough to fit the whole thing and 10cc sounds like a lot to get in the first time. I don’t know, like I said I’m new to this and I just want my baby boy to feel better again, I’ve been so worried about him. He’s never been sick before. He’s going to be 3 in February.

If my schedule isn’t good please tell me another one I should do instead!

This is my first time ever having to do any of this and I just want to make sure I do it right and don’t stress him out too much.

Last edited by PricklyPete; 10-26-2018 at 12:20 AM.
PricklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think I’m just going to give him the famotidine tonight and more food, he hasn’t thrown up or anything. I hope that’s okay.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just incase anyone else has a similar problem, he did start eating on his own last night. The night before I left two bowls, one soaked, one normal, and he ate the soaked food. I gave only soaked last night and he ate 27/51.
I didn’t leave the water in the bowl when I soaked, I soaked it in a different bowl first and drained the water out.

Hedgehogs tend to have dental issues when they’re older and weakening of the jaw, but he’s only going to be 3 in February so I didn’t think that was it but I guess it is! That or he just likes soaked food better, I wish he could talk so he could’ve told me what was wrong.

I’m so happy he’s eating again!! I’m going to continue to syringe feed a little today but not as much or as often.
Yukidama's mama likes this.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

So glad to hear that he's doing much better!
HedgieHugger7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2018, 05:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Glad he's eating again!

My boy prefers soaked mushy food! He wouldn't touch cat kibble dry, guess it's too hard but loves it made all mushy! He won't even touch it just soaked, it has to be mushed! Lol
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone!

Despite getting him eating again, I noticed last night that his manly bit was sticking out and it still has not gone back in. I’ve also seen him sneeze a few times.

Prickly Pete has gotten into a habit of giving me a heart attack and seems to be enjoying it, with the poop clump on foot that caused him to limp making me think something was horribly wrong.

I’m guessing we will be taking another trip to the vet shortly. 😞
Old 11-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

What type of bedding do you use? Could something be stuck in his sheath not allowing it to go back in?

If it hasn't gone back in, take him to the vet asap before it gets irritated. I'm not sure if trying a shallow bath would help and flush anything potentially stuck/help it go back in? Make sure the water is only warm and not too hot. This is just my opinion, see what others think too.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

He’s on fleece bedding, I might try the warm bath again tonight.

I called the vet and they told me that to sprinkle a little table sugar on it because if there is too much moisture that could make it not go back in.
I’ve never heard of that before...they see their last patient at 7pm so I’ll have to bring him in in the morning. They said it would be about $200 to anesthetize him and get it back in, also mentioned they’ve never done that for a hedgehog before which is scary but no one else around here will see them.

I really hope he’s going to be okay tonight, he was his normal self once I got him eating again.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

I brought him in to the vet and I had to leave my baby there. They’re waiting for a technician who knows a lot about them to come in. I hope they don’t put him all the way under, he’s been so healthy and I’m so so worried about him.
They’re also going to take a look at his teeth and a nail trim for free so that is always nice.
Hang in there my little Petey, we all just want you feeling better. :’(
Old 11-06-2018, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Everything went well! He had an abscess on the outside of his manly bit that became infected. The vet gave me some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicine to give him, did a toenail trim for free as well as gave additional critical care to feed with the medicine.
He’s 491 grams, up from 453 when he wasn’t eating. She said that he is a bit chunky and could lose some weight.

I feel so bad for him I can’t wait until my little cactus gets feeling better. I’ll do anything for my little guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0BCEA4BA-0E24-487A-9D01-368DB256749B_1541480585277.jpg (194.0 KB, 5 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in