Urgent Hedghog got into tide puddle - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2018, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Urgent Hedghog got into tide puddle

Need help!!! I discovered my hedghog escaped his cage tonight and found him behind my washing machine in a puddle of old laundry detergent!!! When i picked him up i discovered that his nose is red and penius was swollen and red so I put him in the bath right away washed him for about half a hour then soaked him in Epson salt for about another 30 min! I think it has helped i little but i am still very worried I'd there anything else i can do? Also i am very worried about the chance that he could of ate some of the laundry detergent!!! Any help is appreciated thanks!

I attached a picture of his condition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0387_1538881968195.jpg (90.5 KB, 31 views)
Imiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think you need to call a vet urgently and tell them what happened. His penis is very swollen and I imagine very painful for him. He's most likely suffereed chemical burns from the detergent. Plus if you think he may have drank some of the detergent puddle this could also be very dangerous, may need his stomach pumped.

Hoping he'll be ok, keep us posted.
LuckFupus458 likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

In addition please remember to make sure your cage is secure and escape-proof. Hedgehogs are wonderful escape artists.
Yukidama's mama and Veebs84 like this.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

deffo needs to see vet. good luck xxx
Old 10-08-2018, 02:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

So unfortunately there are no vets that could take him but i was able to completly reduce swelling and made sure he had water! I put him in the shower with paper towels to monitor his poop and pee and everything thing checked out some i think it was just burns to the skin which was cleaned off when i gave him a bath. Today he seems perfect fine and just wants to lay with me!
Old 10-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

How do his gentles look now? Please still consider taking your little one to the vet. Hedgehogs are notoriously good at hiding discomfort and illness. If he ingested any of the Tide, then there is s chance that he has internal burns, not indicated by his poop.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
HedgieHugger7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Any vet should be willing to see him for potential chemical burns, the treatment would be the same for any small mammal, it doesn't have to be an exotic vet. Wherever you bought your hedgehog from would have used a vet to do an initial wellness check prior to selling the hedgehog to you so I'd contact them and ask them where they went. Plus I highly recommend you locate a vet anyways, hedgehogs are very prone to illnesses, from a URI to skin conditions to mites to cancer and no doubt will have to see a vet at some point during their life.

Also I'd be looking out for potentital blisters forming from the chemical reaction, which will be highly at risk of getting an infection. Plus like hedgiehugger already said, no doubt his skin especially around his genitals is very sore and painful. Imagine how you'd feel if you took a bath full of strong detergent and you were sensitive and dry skin skin prone.
Is his skin no longer red or his genitals swollen? Is he eating normally?
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Even if he looks recovered, chemical burns can cause 'invisible' damage that you can't see under his skin. This can spread in to muscles and organs. Before my career change I was a veterinary nurse - not many people kept hedgehogs in those days as pets, and i mostly worked with farm animals and horses, but have seem some very injured small animals from various chemicals.

You must keep bathing daily for at least the next week to help soothe skin, in something hypoallergenic - hibiscrub but VERY VERY dilute will help. You do really need to go to a vet, to at least get the skin assessed and be advised what to bathe skin in. Burns rarely heal themselves. I'm honestly not saying this to be mean, I just would really advise a vet see's your little one. if its difficult, and you are in UK, try the PDSA or blue cross. I'm sure most other countries have an equivalent, or at the very least a vet could talk over phone. They will also likely give you a painkiller as any genital skin condition will be sore.

Good luck with finding a vet and take care
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imiller View Post
So unfortunately there are no vets that could take him but i was able to completly reduce swelling and made sure he had water! I put him in the shower with paper towels to monitor his poop and pee and everything thing checked out some i think it was just burns to the skin which was cleaned off when i gave him a bath. Today he seems perfect fine and just wants to lay with me!
glad he is seeming fine, but please be aware that even though the flakey skin from a burn will wash off - the underlying damage is still there. It's like picking a scab - the top layer will flake away. He may well want to just chill and lay because not feeling right.

glad his poop and pee seem ok but do keep a eye
Old 10-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

He has been eating and drinking normally since the night it happend! I took him by the vet today and they just said that everything i have done they would of done but jsut to be safe they gave me antibotics! But overall he's doing really there is no more swelling or red anywhere!
Yukidama's mama and Veebs84 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in