How much should a hedgehog eat? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2018, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much should a hedgehog eat?

So I’ve noticed in these fast few months that Sylvester doesn’t eat much. I don’t know if it’s the food but I’m a lil worried. He only eats 1tbs of food if not less. He’s also recently (within the past few days) hasn’t been as active as normal. Should I try slowly changing his diet to see if that helps? Or is it something worse!
Sylvester7812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2018, 03:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Does he have a heating setup, if so what kind? What is the temperature inside his cage, is it consistent?

Also does he have a lighting schedile, approx 12 hours of light provided by an artificial light (sunlight is not enough and not consistent) and then 12 hours of complete darkness during the nighttime hours?

All these points should be considered before you change his food. Also he may have an underlying mouth issue which is making him eat less. Eating less and being less active can be early signs something may be wrong, it may be time to get him checked at the vets just to be safe. Have them check his mouth too.
LuckFupus458 likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

How old is he? Does he look underweight?

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Aside from Yukidama’s mama and nikki’s questions, how old is he? He may be quilling, which considerably lessens food intake (at least it did for Lily), or just not eating as much as compared to when he was a baby.

Do you change his water and food daily?

Also, how is his poop (i.e. consistency, colour)?
lilyluna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

He’s around 1 year old now and he doesn’t look underweight but he’s also always been smaller in size
Sylvester7812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok how about the bag of food, is it a recently open bag or been open for several months? If it's been open a while the food may have gone a bit stale, and this can put hedgehogs off eating it. If it's a brand new bag and his eatig habits have changed since starting a new bag, perhaps the formula has changed and this is putting him off it.

So how is his heating and lighting schedule? Like I said before it could be either of these two things if they aren't consistent.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in