Drippy Nose - Worried!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ria
  • 1 Post By HelaHedgie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2018, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

So i’m a relatively new hedgie Mumma to 5 month old Hela & she’s my first ever hedgehog! So tonight when i brought her out for snuggles i noticed she had a drip of fluid on her nose, it was clear like water & didn’t appear to be mucousy or thick, she licked it & after that she appeared fine, her nose dried up a bit & no noticeable sneezes or anything like that, but i’m still worried it could be a potential URI developing?!

Having read the symptoms of these she doesn’t exhibit most of them - she’s still eating as much as she normally does, in fact last night she ate more than she normally would so her food intake isn’t a worry for now, however - she isn’t using her wheel at all as far as i can tell. She hasn’t used it for at least 2 weeks, but since having her she’s never been hugely interested in it & has always been quite a lazy wee hog, so it’s not hugely irregular for her not to use it as i’ve only known for a fact around 3/4 times that she did use it - i’ve placed treats & things on the wheel to check if she’s been on it & these have still been in place come morning time so it’s a definite that she’s not used it!

Other than the drippy nose & the wheel neglect, she seems healthy enough in every other aspect so i’m unsure if i’m just overreacting to the nose drip - i’ve read other members on here saying it could be sweat which could be a possibility as the room was pretty hot tonight (26 celsius) & also people saying this is common when they’ve just wakened up, which she had when i lifted her out!

Really hoping it’s nothing & i’ll be closely monitoring her the next 24 hours & have the vet on standby, but in the meantime any advice is appreciated at all, thanks so much!!
HelaHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2018, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi! It could be the start of a URI, I'd monitor closely and if it happens again or if she starts to sneeze or excessively licks her nose in the next 24hours Id take her to the vet.

My Yuki had this happen back in January when it was considerably cold here (that same day our boiler pipes froze up and his cage dropped to 21C for some reason, it was a one off luckily). He had a blob of clear fluid run out of his nose and he'd lick his nose quite a lot. I think it happened again the following evening but not as bad but I decided to contact the vet and he got antibiotics for it. It's best to catch it early and treat. If it is left untreated and gets to the point it is green or thick mucous this is more severe and harder to treat and they can develop pneumonia.

26C is not really hot. I like to keep my boy's cage around 25-26.5C, he seems to prefer it warmer. I've never heard of a hedgehog sweating before?! They can handle temps as high as early 30s C.

It could be an allergy causing it. What bedding do you use? If you use fleece what type of detergent do you use to wash it with?

Also with the wheel neglect. How are her nails? My boy runs less when his need trimming. Also make sure the wheel bolt hasn't become loose or the stand hasnt become uneven or the tilt has changed. All these things effect how much my boy will run on his wheel.

Hoping she's ok. Keep us posted.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2018, 03:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ria

When you have out make a secure area that she can run. If shes not running on her wheel running around a secure large area can give them exercise. Also if you add foraging trays to this area with insects on them then they will become even more active, but obviously do this at their night time as they will be more likly to do this then.
Someone with their hedgehog not using their wheel, and had his nails trimmed, he was a bit overweight, but one night in a secure large area with about 4 foragaing trays and a lot of low fat insects, he lost a lot and started to use his wheel. Overweight hedgehogs can be lazy and wont use their wheels either.

This worked for a hedgehog who wasnt overweight she was just generally lazy, and didnt use her wheel, one night in a large secure area with 3 foraging trays and differnt insects, and she was running on her wheel after.

They do this now every other day as keeps them active and they really loved it.
Apparently it was pretty fun to watch

This doesnt help with your main concern I know, but it will help with her being more active and can prevent any issues with being overweight.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Ria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hiya!

Thanks so much for your replies, they’re so helpful i really appreciate them!! <3

So i decided the morning after i sent the post to take her to the vet just to be safe, i’m a worrier & i wouldn’t have been able to sleep otherwise!! The vet was really happy with her health generally, her heart & breathing were both fine, she’s a nice healthy weight of 350g, the only noted concern he had was the same as myself of the drippy nose! He said it could be a potential URI developing as i thought, so gave me some precautionary antibiotics & anti-inflammatories to ward it off progressing any further!

So it’s been a fun few days of syringe feeding her those haha! First day she started anointing with the antibiotic syrup as it smells like bananas & managed to get it in her eye - so this led to another panic of me googling whether this would harm her eye!! My girl knows how to stress me out for sure haha!!

Happy to say though she’s definitely perkier the last 2 days & almost back to her usual wee self, eating & drinking fine, still not wheeling but as i said before she was never overly fussed on this in the first place - so definitely going to try the advice of a run for her - i do have a pen for her already but going to get something bigger for her to properly run about so i can be sure she’s exercising a bit at least!!

Thanks so much again &#x1f642;
Yukidama's mama likes this.
HelaHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2018, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Glad to hear she's on the mend! ^^
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in