Extremely dry skin and quill loss - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LuckFupus458
  • 2 Post By LuckFupus458

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2018, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Extremely dry skin and quill loss

Hello, I'm new to this group. I have a 1 year old hedgehog. For the last month or so we have noticed a good amount of quill loss. No real bad bald spots yet. I have spent hours online trying to figure out what is going on. We contacted the place we purchased her from and they said it could be mites. I thought the same thing when I saw the tips of her ears a bit tattered. I took her to the vet today only to be told that she has extremely dry skin and that is causing the quill loss. He didnt do a skin scrap at all because he was not comfortable putting her to sleep to do so. Has anyone experienced this? I feel so horrible. She seems super miserable and I only want to help her. I gave her a bath with coconut oil and let her sit under the water and she seemed so much more comfortable. But after the bath there were about 50 give or take quills that fell out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Megdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

What kind of food do you feed her? My girl was having a similar issue and it turned out the food I was feeding wasn't very good. I switched her to a better quality food and it seems to have helped. I haven't tried it but have read of people adding flax seed oil to their hog's food. I do something similar for my dogs in the winter months.

Do you find that you need to use lotion for yourself a lot? My house is SUPER dry so I am constantly slathering on the lotion. All my pets seem to get dry too. Any way to check the humidity level in your hog's cage?

Hope this helps,

Jill
Yukidama's mama likes this.

LuckFupus458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is she on a hedgehog food diet? It's important that you have a hedgehog formula as cat or dog food don't reach the nutritional requirements of a hedgehog. Have you tried more natural shampoos? Biogance's Universal shampoo is excellent for hedgehog's dry skin. Could she be allergic to her bedding? What bedding are you using at the moment?

Hope she gets all better soon <3

Claudia Angelique
[email protected]
claudia.angelique is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudia.angelique View Post
Is she on a hedgehog food diet? It's important that you have a hedgehog formula as cat or dog food don't reach the nutritional requirements of a hedgehog. Have you tried more natural shampoos? Biogance's Universal shampoo is excellent for hedgehog's dry skin. Could she be allergic to her bedding? What bedding are you using at the moment?

Hope she gets all better soon <3
Actually, cat or dog food is better than commercial hedgehog food. Hedgehogs should be fed cat or dog kibble and then given a mix of insects daily.
Yukidama's mama and lilyluna like this.

LuckFupus458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in