Panic overnight - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Panic overnight

I'm honestly not sure if this should be a health issue or a behavioral issue. I have had Kiwi for 3 weeks now. She is between 11 and 12 weeks old. The breeder gave me a birth date of "around June 28th".

When I put Kiwi to bed everything seemed normal. When i got up this morning she was running frantically around her cage. Normaly she is asleep in her igloo and I wake her up for our morning cuddle and snack. She usually only needs a second to smell its me and she lets me pick her up. I swear she acted like she was on meth this morning. Wild eyed and frantic. Everything was moved and her igloo was tipped over and on the opposite side of the cage. She kept frantically climbing on it and diving under it. She had not eaten her food.
I put my hand in to pick her up and she made some sounds I've never heard but all she wanted was to grab my hand and climb up it like I was throwing her a life raft. Her quills were fluffed out but not in full defence. She would not go into her pouch or cuddle with me. At one point she nipped me which she has never done. I'm not upset she bit me I just feel bad she was that upset.

I tried for 15 minutes or so to get her to stay in her pouch with me and calm down but it just wasn't happening. I put her cage back in order and got her igloo back in its normal place and put her back in her cage. I freshend her water bottle and she did drink a little and then went right to her igloo. Usually she eats some kibble first but not this time.

I spent 30 minutes or so reading through old posts and found similar threads but nothing quite like this.

Her skin looks normal, she has not had a bath in a week and no diet changes. Our weather has been up and down and we have wood heat so controlling temperature in her cage have been challenging but I'm working hard at it. I would say it was a bit more chilly than normal. I did but her a new "buisy body blankie" to play in. I didn't wash it out of the package so could there be something on the fleece that irritated her? quilling right now. I have been using my winter stocking caps for cuddle pouches and I have been finding a dozen or so of her little quills in them after I hold her. She has no bald patches. She has short little fits of scratching but then goes about her business.s Other than that I'm not sure what to think.

I feel fortunate to have had an easy time with handling and getting into a routine. She and I have bonded quickly and she is generally a very busy, active and friendly little hedgie. I don't think I could have been luckier to have gotten such an easy and social little girl for my first hedgie especially since she was a Craigslist baby from a questionable breeder.

I'm kind of in a panic myself. I'm so attached to her.
Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sure she is fine. They make you worry so don't they!

I've read they can act differently when quilling, and I know my first boy definitely did - he would get manic and very grumpy when quilling.

Wash the blankie if it would reassure you, but unlikely anything making her hyper. If she is eating and toiletting normally then likely ok, but keep an eye and maybe call vet for advice if she doesn't settle in next 48 hours- I'm not a vet, but previously worked as a vet nurse - my first career out of school! And that would have been my advice, unless stops eating or toiletting - if does then contact vet straight away.

Sounds like quilling to me, but based on my previous boy who was a nut case feel free to inbox if want to chat more.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veebs84 View Post
I'm sure she is fine. They make you worry so don't they!

I've read they can act differently when quilling, and I know my first boy definitely did - he would get manic and very grumpy when quilling.

Wash the blankie if it would reassure you, but unlikely anything making her hyper. If she is eating and toiletting normally then likely ok, but keep an eye and maybe call vet for advice if she doesn't settle in next 48 hours- I'm not a vet, but previously worked as a vet nurse - my first career out of school! And that would have been my advice, unless stops eating or toiletting - if does then contact vet straight away.

Sounds like quilling to me, but based on my previous boy who was a nut case [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon1.gif[/IMG] feel free to inbox if want to chat more.
Thank you so much for the response. It made me feel a lot better.

As an update, after I got Kiwis cage back in order I noticed that since she has grown so much since I got her that she managed to tip her igloo over again while fussing and trying to get comfortable. I need to get her a bigger one. In the mean time I made a tie blanket cover for her igloo from some left over polar fleece. She liked that a lot and she can't tip her igloo over any more. At least if she does it will still be a little cave she can hide in.

Once she settled she slept all day and we resumed our normal routine without incident in the evening. The only difference I noticed was that she was more cuddly and less busy than usual. I attributed that from exhaustion from a bad night.
She let me put my hand inside her cuddle sack with her and give her a nice belly rub and all over massage. Before this would only go a minite or two and then she would be up and ready to run around and explore. She let me rub on her for a good 30 minutes before a big yawn and stretch and ready to go.

She ate all her food over night and pooped all over her wheel so all is right with the world😀
Glenna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

2 things to add, first, water bottles are not recommended, a día his a better option and I wouldn’t wake her in the morning, that’s like you fall asleep and someone wakes you 2 hours after to play with you. Bonding time is better at night, close to their waking time.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Do you have a heating set up for her? If not then you need to get one as soon as possible. A proper heating set up will help keep the cage a steady temperature so she doesn't try to hibernate.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lily and Kiwi are 2 days apart, and during the peak of her quilling (ie last week), Lily was nothing but hyperactive. She pooped, drank, ate, and wheeled like normal though, but it felt like she couldn’t relax. She’s naturally an explorer (the only time we could cuddle is if she’s asleep, otherwise she’d just be climbing up my body), but this was over the top. She has since relaxed a little since last week, and I still don’t know what happened, but it could have been her new sleeping bag or the quilling. Or the fact that I ran out of lavender essential oil last week, which helps her (and me) calm down.

Also, maybe it has something to do with her heating and/or lighting?
lilyluna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in