Looking for second opinions, similar experiences - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for second opinions, similar experiences

Hi, I’m a long time lurker but first time poster. I have a 4 yo female hedgehog named Shay. Up until this past few months. i’ve never had any issues with my hedge whatsoever. But it started with a small sore on my hedgehogs face. Thinking it was possible she scratched her face with a nail, i let it be for a few weeks. Then suddenly it was a rapid wildfire. she was covered in sores, scabs, etc all over her body and itching non stop. She was still eating, sleeping, peeing, pooping, going on her wheel and acting as normal. I decided a trip to the vet was in order. My vet did skin tests, blood tests, and an x-ray. he determined it was possible my hedgie has an auto immune disease of sorts and put her on anti inflammatories and antibiotics to see if that would help anything. that was about 3 weeks now. in that time i noticed she wasn’t improving and in a lot of ways her sickness has progressed significantly and quickly. She has large scabs, excessive dry skin, excessive pooping and peeing (in her bed specifically), she doesn’t go on her wheel anymore or if she does for very short periods. she digs under her bedding. spends hours digging at the bottom of her cage. and then, this past week, she’s started losing quils in CHUNKS. she is missing easily over 50% of her quils from this past week alone. i am afraid to touch her or pick her up as quils just fall right off. I brought her back to the vet and they said the only next step for her is a biopsy as he’s never seen anything like this in his career. it’s over $300 to get them done here and I cannot afford to get her tested. So i am trying to see if anyone else has had a similar experiences and wha they’ve found to be the issue with their hog. It also is a very expensive procedure just to potentially find out what is wrong, with no guarantee it will be properly diagnosed or there is treatment.

I want to make an educated decision on if it’s right or not to put her down. she is still as feisty and fiery and active as she’s always been, and don’t want to prematurely make the choice if she’s not in a lot of pain or suffering.
bawful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear of Shay's skin condition. Did the vet specifically check for a fungal infection? Another member recently posted about their hedgie's skin issue (covered in scabs, loosing fur etc) and turned out to be a plant based fungal infection. I just commented on their post so it will be below this post now, read their post and look at the photos.

You can also use the search function to check previous posts to try see if any old members have dealt with a similar skin issue.

Hopefully more members will comment with their experiences too.
LuckFupus458 likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in