Emergency - Suddenly Deathly lll - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2018, 04:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Emergency - Suddenly Deathly lll

So we've had a pretty terrible night. For some background - this week we discovered a possum had gotten into the house - caught it and got it out but had reason to believe there were more. We have traps set in the basement (where they are) and cameras to keep an eye on everything. (The hedgehog is safely kept upstairs.) Well, tonight we heard a loud bang from the furnace and terrible rumbling, immediately an absolutely horrid smell came over the whole house. I ran outside (I'm pregnant and we didn't know what the smell was at first - we worried it was gas or something) and my husband went back in for our hedgehog and cat. Turns out a possum crawled into the furnace, hit the fly wheel, and died.

While we were figuring out what was wrong, I was outside with the hedgehog. We were outside for about an hour in mid/high seventies temps. Janet (the hedgehog) was in my arms in a blanket she was burrowing in and out of. Everything seemed completely fine but then suddnely she was limp and non responsive. Around this time, someone was getting arrested across the street (it was a crazy night to say the least) and four squad cars were there with lights flashing. Tried to block Janet's eyes because she started acting weird and thought maybe that was bugging her. Then I thought maybe she had gotten too hot and put her in my car with the ac on. Her belly was warm but she wasnt really responding. Usually she hates being handled - she's an absolute grump, but she wasn't curling up or moving around at all.

We ended up taking her to the emergency vet about half an hour to forty five minutes after the symptoms started. Her heart rate was in the 90s and her body temp got down to 91. Vet was able to get temp back up to 98 eventually but she's still not moving or responding much. Had xrays done and there's some congestion showing up in her lungs. Dr mentioned it might be neurological and that we're touch and go right now.

I am absolutely heartbroken. Jan's almost three and has never had any issues before. Do you think the stress of everything that happened tonight caused this? It's a lot for an adult human to handle, can't imagine what a little hedgehog would think. She got woken up suddenly and taken outside for so long in the heat. We live on a pretty busy loud street and then that arrest going on...

Initially I thought heatstroke but the why would her body temp be so low if that were the case? Anyone have any experience with a stroke or seizure?

The emergency vet unfortunately doesnt specialize in exotic pets and hasn't dealt with hedgehogs but she did consult with someone who has but they weren't really able to come up with a diagnosis and the dr mentioned I should think about what I want to do if nothing changes as she might have brain damage that's causing this behavior. It all happened so fast. One minute she was climbing on me and sniffing around and we even took a picture because she was being so cute and then the next minute everything changed. I can't help but blame myself and wish I would have done anything differently tonight.

Any advice or stories on similar experiences is appreciated. Wish I had some answers and could figure out what was wrong and how to help her. It's just so sad. Such a crazy terrible night...

I know this was super long and all over the place, I just don't know what to do with myself. It's been a rough four and a half hours. Thanks guys <3
JANETSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about her issues (and that sure must’ve been a rough night!)
With temps in mid/high 70’s heatstroke seems unlikely as that’s not warm at all.

It could be just something that accidentally happened at the same time, or maybe there was a certain weakness already and the noise and lights started it off. I think it’s more likely she just got a stroke or something similar (based on our description) which isn’t unknown to happen at random in hedgehogs.

How’s she doing now?

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in