Tooth abscess? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By carisbowser

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tooth abscess?

Hey there. I’m a new member to hedgehog central but it has been a huge help to me in the past simply by reading other’s posts.
My hedgie, Opal is around 2 years old. She has been healthy that whole time. About a week ago my husband and I noticed that Opal’s cheek looked kinda swollen. We didn’t think too much of it and just thought because she is so active she may have bumped it on something during playtime. I kept a close eye on it and noticed it progressing quickly. We checked for stuck food in her teeth thinking it could maybe be from that, only to find a small pea size lump on the left side of her mouth. Somewhat pink and white colored from what we could tell. (The attached photos should show this.) We noticed this yesterday and want to get her to the vet as soon as possible but because it is the weekend I will have to wait to call until tomorrow.
She is still eating, drinking, pooping regularly and her usual active self when awake. I just don’t want her to be in pain. I also just hate the thought of losing her which is why this has been so scary.
Does anyone have any advice on what I could be doing for her or what this may be? Thank you fellow hedgie lovers! We appreciate all your wisdom and encouragement!
carisbowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2018, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

It could be an abscess or a tumour. The only way to know for sure is to see a vet.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes I was thinking either of those. I will call the vet tomorrow and hope she can be seen ASAP. Thanks!
nikki and Yukidama's mama like this.
carisbowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Definitely best to get her in as soon as you can especially if it's getting worse quickly. My boy has been having ongoing mouth issues but it looks quite different (ive made posts before about it). The vet thinks it could an allergic reaction (he doesn't have any signs of an abscess just swollen lips that droop and look a bit inflamed) so they aren't too concerned but still I'm checking everyday and constantly worry.

I hope they can help Opal and give her treatment, especially with her being more on the younger side. Please keep us posted and let us know what the vet says ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in