Overweight hedgie, please help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2018, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Overweight hedgie, please help!

My hedgie, Sir Benjamin, is a year and a half old. I got him when he was about 8 months old. When I first got him he was so tiny but quickly started gaining weight, which at the time wasn't a bad thing. He started to get a little chunky after a while though, and I assumed it'd be fine since he was growing. However, he has just continued to gain weight. I'm not certain how much he weighs but he is definitely overweight. He sleeps most of the time and eats a lot. He does run daily, but not for very long. He has a bucket wheel, I keep his nails trimmed, and his cage is usually at 76 degrees. I think he might just be lazy but at the same time, he usually has lots of energy when I pick him up. I thought I had him on a light schedule, but I found out sunlight isn't enough. So that may be contributing to him not running as much. I try to give him fresh fruits and veggies sometimes but most of the time he won't eat them. The only treat he gets excited about is eggs. I've tried to give him dried insects and he's not a fan, I hate to admit it but I haven't really tried any other form with him. He was eating Purina One Healthy Kitten Formula because it worked really well with my previous hedgie. But I only recently switched his food to Purina Beyond Simply white meat chicken & whole oat meal recipe, because that was all I could find in the store on short notice(I went out of town and when I came back he had almost no food). I was going to take him to the vet but I really don't know what they could do besides tell me he's overweight. I will attach a picture of him and the nutrition facts of his new food. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do I'd greatly appreciate it. I have no idea what to do and I don't want him getting morbidly obese.

In the side view picture, I think he is constipated from his new food.
Laceybani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018, 03:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

My boy is about the same age and had a similar story, was small and underweight and has gained over 200gs but he's not quite obese, I've started taken action when I noticed he just kept putting it on and quite significantly.

What I've done and what I'd suggest you try is add a lower fat kibble to his food. I went with blue buffalo weight management it's 9% fat. 15% in the current food is probably too high and might be worth looking for a 12% but for now gradually add a low fat kibble. My boy hasn't gained anymore and is even very slowly losing a little. I've started feeding more insects as well, less fatty ones like crickets. Give canned ones a try, they are juicy and smellier so he might be more interested in them.

Introducing an artificial light schedule might help him become more active too. You can also make him have to forsge for some of his food so it's not so easy as eating from the boy, scatter around his cage, hide treats as well
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lazy, obese, obesity, over weight, overweight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in