Eating? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eating?

So I just got back from my month long trip and noticed my hedgehog isn’t eating all of his food like he always does. He eats a little less than half of his food now. He only gets 1 heaping tablespoon of cat food every night and sometimes 4-6 mealworms. He’s still very active I hear him running all night but he’s just not eating as much. Any idea why?
Sylvester7812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Was the food still changed out daily whilst you were away? I guess if there were any changes to his routine (were lighting schedules and temps maintained correctly? Was he still being held, was his cage cleaned regularly still etc) perhaps this could have changed his mood and therefore impacted his appetite possibly? Otherwise could the bag of food have gone a bit stale during the month you've been away?

Give him a good check over too. Is he pooping and drinking normally still?
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also can you check whether the food bowl has been cleaned daily?
Yukidama's mama likes this.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can say that everything was still maintained (like lighting and temp and cage cleaning along with his good bowl being cleaned) and I know the food isn’t stale because I got him a new bag of the same food when I got back from my trip. But I’ve also noticed something different which is when I go to hold him he’s not as energetic as he normally is (he’s usually almost running out of my hands) now he just kinda chills and just sits around. Tonight I did count the amount of food I gave him so that in the morning I know exactly how much he ate but this still all seems kinda weird and I might end up taking him to the vet soon if nothing changes within around a week. I also just changed him back to bedding instead of fleece since fleece just wasn’t working so maybe his mood might change with the bedding back
Old 08-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

So last night I counted the pieces of kibble that I gave him m. He got exactly 103 pieces. This morning I counted what was left and it was 64 pieces so he only ate 39 last night. So he’s not even eating half his food.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

That's good that the same standards were maintained, perhaps he just missed his mama or papa
Was he still being held regularly?

So when did you change from fleece to bedding? Perhaps he does prefer the fleece.
If he's still acting off and not eating a lot, best to take him to the vet and get checked out. If he starts eating a lot less then you'll need to start syringe feeding him. You can also try offering his food in his bed area during the day / scatter some pieces in his bed and see if he'll eat also snack during the day. This really helped my boy's appetite grow.

It's good he's still eating some food at least. How about treats, maybe he just needs a boost to kick start his appetite. Also was his appetite fine whilst you were away, would the person looking after him would have noticed?

So are his other habits ok, still drinking and pooping normally?
What temperature are you keeping his cage at? Perhaps it needs to be a little warmer or it's too hot if you're currently experiencing summer where you are?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sylvester was still being held regularly, I did make sure of that. And Sylvester was on bedding when I got him from the breeders and decided to try fleece and that just wasn’t working for him so I switched back to bedding. I was told that around a week before I got back, he started eating less. He’s still drinking and pooping like normal too. And his cage is set at 75 degrees F at all times, I sometimes lower it to 72-73 on the hotter days of the summer. But so far the only thing I’ve noticed is he’s not eating a lot and he’s not as energetic as normal
Old 08-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ok so if I understand correctly, you are manually setting the heater to 75F and manually lowering it yourself to 72-73F? But what is the actual temperature of his cage? Do you have a digital thermometer in his cage to read the temp?

It is important to know the actual temperature of his cage, as just because you've set the heater at 75F it doesn't necceassarly mean this is what the cage temperature is going to be, with additional hot weather etc. Not sure where you are but a lot of places are experiencing a heat wave in the past few weeks, has it become hotter where you are? Perhaps he is getting too hot, they can get the opposite to hibernation which is called estivation, bascially heat exhaustion. Have you noticed him laying out in the open at all or splatting (all legs spread out in front and behind and heavy breathing)?

What kind of heat set up do you have~ a mat, CHE, a heat lamp etc? Are you using a thermostat to control the heating so it turns on and off when needed, for instance if it gets too hot (the temp cage reaches 75F it will turn the heater off automatically).
Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sobsylvester ate so much more last night. Like almost all his food (there’s maybe 20ish pieces left) so hopefully his appetite continues to grow back to what was normal for him. I might make him an egg tonight to boost his appetite and protube more since he didn’t eat much as normal this past week

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in