My hedgehog accidentally ate plastic - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My hedgehog accidentally ate plastic

New ownere here! So I tapped my hedhegog’s fleece lining to his cage in the hopes that he wouldn’t burrow under it and instead he just ate through the plastic to burrow. He isn’t acting weird is he okay? It doesn’t look like he ate much. Really just bite enough to break it
Hedgehogcarmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2018, 04:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

monitor and make sure he is eating ok. If he repeatedly starts to vomit or can't keep food down or shows other signs of being unwell (lethargic, not wheeling, not pooping normally, then you must urgently take him to the vet.

If possible, try checking inside his mouth to make sure there isn't any small pieces stuck in his mouth/teeth, including the roof of his mouth.

Also in terms of the burrowing behaviour, when using fleece, it is really important to provide some form of digging for them. most people make a dig box or minimum cut up a load of fleece to make fleece stripes and put them inside his hide area/where he is trying to dig. If he still tries to dig then you should probably switch to loose bedding, this is what I eventually did.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2020, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

my hedgehog had eaten a bit of plastic from t shirt tags by accident .she was near the garbage and when i notice her eat it i couldn’t get it out of her mouth she hasn’t been pooping in two days but she eats well what should i do?
sammy81234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

In the future please refrain from posting on old posts. If she hasn't been pooping at all that certainly is a huge concern. You need to take her to the vet asap.
barongan likes this.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirtleSquirt View Post
In the future please refrain from posting on old posts. If she hasn't been pooping at all that certainly is a huge concern. You need to take her to the vet asap.
Nice
barongan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in