Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Quilling or Mites? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188560)

Fizzgig The Hog 07-17-2018 01:46 AM

Quilling or Mites?

2 Attachment(s)
I am the new owner of a 7 month old male hedgehog. I got him from some one on Craig's List who couldn't take care of him anymore. Besides being in a small cage his previouse owner loved him dearly and took good care of him, so I trust he is in pretty good health at the least. Anyways, when I took him on he was noticable grumpy, only really settling down to swimm (he loves swimming), i expected this because of stress and a new setting, but I noticed he is dropping quills. I know quilling can take place between 4 and 8 month and he is only dropping 4 or 5 a day and they are all heathly sturdy quills with the little bulb at the end. I guess my biggest concern is his quills are a little patchy when they are spiked up and I can see some of his skin underneath, I don't know how much skin you are normally supposed to see. He is my first hog but I am well informes. I attached some images and you can see some new quills growing in. I guess I just want to know if this looks like a normal hedgehog back to you or not.

Yukidama's mama 07-17-2018 03:12 AM

His back looks a bit bald in places in my opinion. My boy's back can look a bit sparse when he's balled up sometimes but that's because he's gotten a bit big and so the skin is stretched. This looks more balding and larger areas. Also when he isn't balled up I can't see any bald patches. However when I first got him he had bald patches (smaller ones) and lost a few quills. It's a good sign if you can see new quills growing in though.

What bedding do you use? Also are you feeding a good quality kibble? I really noticed a difference with my boy's quills/patches once I changed over his diet to good quality kibbles. Let him settle for a little while before changing up his food if he isnt already on good food though. Also once he's settled it might be worth taking him to a vet for a wellness check and they can check for mites at the same time.

Fizzgig The Hog 07-17-2018 04:36 AM

I use fleece for the most part and a litter bix with paper bedding. For kibble he gets a grain free purina brand with 31% Protein and 11% Fat. I gave him and oatmeal bath tonight with a tooth brush because I noticed one quill that looked a bit scabby, he really enjoyed it.

nikki 07-18-2018 12:07 PM

Is he scratching st all? With mites they scratch frantically. Have you taken him for a health check? All new pets should see a vet for a health check when you get them.

Fizzgig The Hog 07-19-2018 06:09 AM

He's not scratching at all, and aside from general hedgehog grumpiness he is perfectly happy. I will be taking him for a heath check very soon just to be sure!