URI/Meds overdose PLS HELP - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2018, 01:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default URI/Meds overdose PLS HELP

Hi, i’m extremely worried because i got a hedgehog 2 weeks ago and she immediately caught a URI. The vet gave me amoxicillin for 10 days, 15mg and the only improvement i’ve seen is no more sneezing. I just heard congestion and she’s still licking her nose. Because of this, i’ve been giving her a little bit more meds, about 17mg. She’s only 292 grams and young, i’m extremely worried. Am i about to overdose my hedgie? and do i need a stronger medication at this point? PLEASE HELP 😞
sammycravinhos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

I really wouldn't be self prescribing more meds/doses without discussing it with your vet first. How many days has she been on the meds for? It can take a few days to see any improvements.

If it's already been a few days, please call your vet and let them know what is happening, they will decide the best action to take next. Change the meds or increase the duration etc.

In terms of other contributing factors. What is the temp of her cage? Are you using a digital thermometer in her cage and do you a heating setup (ie a CHE attached to a thermostst or a room space heater)? What bedding are you using? If you are using fleece, what kind of detergent are you washing it with?

Hope she gets better soon ♡
nikki likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

She is on day 7 and while i was giving her meds this morning i heard some congestion...Her heat is controlled by a thermostat and i use a ceramic heater, she uses a fleece bedding and it’s washed with a detergent that has zero scents or dyes (the vet recommended it). Have you ever heard of amoxicillin not working? While doing research i’ve read that most hedgies are prescribed “baytril” for URIs.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok that's good to hear you have a heat set up and washing fleece with zero scent detergent . what is the temp of her cage? Perhaps it could do with being bumped up a degree or two.

When my boy had a URI I think he was given Baytril (it was in powder form, they didn't write the name on the packet when I collected it and it was to replace a previous Baytril given to me by a previous vet, but that Baytril was in liquid form that had gone off, I think it does come in both powder and liquid). The antibiotic course was for 7 days and the runny nose stopped after 3 days or so. His nose continued to be wet, a little wetness is normal but congestion / wheezy breathing isn't.

Did you call your vet to update them? Amoxicillin I thought was quite a strong antibiotic (ive had it myself before and it always makes me feel sick taken it). If you don't have much confidence in this vet, you could seek a second opinion. If there is no improvement in 7 days on the amoxicillin then you should probably inform them and ask what you should do. But don't stop the course of treatment or change it without speaking to a vet. Stopping antibiotics and not completing the required course can result in the infection getting worse or coming back worse (the body builds up immunity to it).

Keep us posted
Old 07-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Her temps are between 78-82. When i called the vet they said just to wait it out for the full 10 days, i just hating waiting and seeing her still showing symptoms 😣 It’s also such a pain because i can’t tell if some things are a norma reaction to something or just a sign that the uri is getting worse and it’s driving me nuts! I hope she will be okay. Thank you so much for helping!
Old 07-08-2018, 06:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok do as the vet says, it's just 3 more days but if she shows signs of getting worse then take her back in or to a different vet. If she has any mucous / runny nose blobs, especially coloured discharge then you should let them know as that's a sign it's getting worse.

If you haven't already got some, benebac is a probiotic that can help settle their stomach during a course of medication (if she's getting any green poop or appetite has lessened). You need to give it at least 2 hours after the medicwtion dose so the antibiotics don't destroy the probiotic.

I know how you feel, I'm exactly the same with my boy too, worrying all the time if he's ok, especially when he has had a URI and GI issues in the past and when I first brought him home I was even worst lol. If she's eating well still and being active at night time those are good signs.
nikki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in