Hedgehog surgery recovery behavior/time - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By Dear_Riah
  • 1 Post By Draenog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog surgery recovery behavior/time

Hey,
I've been searching this forum high and low but haven't been able to quite get the exact answers I need. My hedgehog, Felicity, is 3.5 almost 4 years old, in very good health. She suddenly scratched her eye out and had to have emergency surgery to recover. This was in the wee hours of the morning July 4th. I gave her her first dose of post op medicine late last night.

She has a hard time walking and falls over easily. She got stuck in her litter box because of this and I found her that way this morning trying to roll over. She will drink her water but won't eat her kibble.

My question is, what is surgery recovery typically like? Will she be weak and lethargic like this for a few days? Should I be worried? I just don't know and I wasn't able to sleep because I'm so worried that something is wrong. She's never had any issues before and seemed super chipper and healthy, even with her bloody eye pre surgery.
bdhaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Usually it doesn't take that long to recover from surgery. The falling over isn't normal. I would call your vet and discuss this with them, they might want to see her again to make sure everything is ok.
shetland likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

My hedgie underwent surgery as well at the same age. The same day of post-op she was was high as a kite; stumbling around and tired. But later the day she was running and eating good. Within 24hrs she was back to herself and showed no signs of just having an operation.

We did put her on wet cat food to make it easy on her and it is also high in water so she was hydrate. We also kept her bedding to purely fleece blankets and puppy pads so she didn't have a hard time walking over bedding.

I personally would go back into the vets or at least call to see if there is anything they can do or recommend. They might has put her on such a high does of anesthesia.
shetland likes this.
Dear_Riah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

I second the previous posters. This doesn't sound normal (especially the falling over), recovery from surgery can be tough on them but shouldn't take that long.
shetland likes this.

Draenog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in