Clear discharge from female baby?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Clear discharge from female baby??

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the community and just got my first baby hedgie and first girl. (I own a 2 year old male hedgie I adopted when he was around 4 months)

The baby girl was purchased from a breeder and is 8 weeks old. When we picked her while with the breeder, she had some green runny poos that we thought could be stress related, and the breeder said he'd just given the babies worms that morning and he said it could be from that. Since giving her dry cat food (which she eats a LOT of it seems for a such a little baby) her poos have no longer been green, but they do still tend to be loose but she is in a new environment and sometimes they are solid. She also seems bloated in the belly and has since the day we got her, so I'm not sure is this normal for babies because the breeder felt they were all healthy? She is also starting to quill and don't know if one has to do with the other.

My concern is while cleaning off her feet, I noticed a clear almost thick gel-like discharge coming out her back end though I'm not positive which opening it was coming out of. She doesn't appear sick and is very alert, active, and very healthy appetite but between the bloating (which seems to have gone down a little since I got her the other day) and discharge (which I just noticed today) is this something that is normal in babies or something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

**edited to add that she has her own cage separate from the male hedgehog and they have not been put together so no chance of him trying to get her pregnant if that's even possible quite yet.
GroovyHedgieMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I would take her in for a vet check. It's always a good idea to have a new pet in for a vet check as soon as possible after bringing them home. I do this with any animal that comes into my house.

Make sure that your female and male never meet. They can't be in contact with each other even supervised. Hedgehogs are induced ovulators and having them in contact will cause her to ovulate over and over which isn't healthy and will cause him to become frustrated and possibly aggressive. Also make sure they both have 100% escape proof cages.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in