Red spots/ skin inflammation/ mites? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Red spots/ skin inflammation/ mites?

Hello! I noticed some red spots on my hedgehog yesterday that doesn't really seem to bother him but they concern me. I don't think he has mites because he doesn't scratch a lot and I use fleece as his bedding.

He is a month and a half old so he is quilling right now and have some grumpy episodes where he tends to bite. Other than that, he is a very friendly and curious hedgehog.

I've been to the vet, but they are not really educated on hedgehogs... The vet recommended some rivanol (human disinfecting solution) on the spots for a week and if it doesn't work to come back after a week. I also talked to the breeder and he recommended stronghold which is for mites.

If someone's hedgy had the same issue I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you!
Elenah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

More pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180622-185947_Chrome.jpg (511.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180622-185924_Chrome.jpg (88.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180622-185853_Chrome.jpg (94.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-23-2018, 03:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi I'm wondering could it be an allergic reaction? I haven't dealt with red sores myself but have read lots of previous posts about them. If a skin infection, ingrown quills and mites are ruled out sometimes the cause can be an allergic reaction to something. Also just because you use fleece doesn't mean they can't get mites. How does the rest of the skin look, not dry or flaky? Did the vet do a skin scraping and check for mites?

Here's some questions to help rule out an allergic reaction:
What do you wash the fleece with? As in is the detergent scent free, additive free and ok for sensitive skin?
How often do you bathe him and what with?
What food do you feed him?

Hopefully someone who has dealt with this before will add on otherwise you can use the forum search function to look back at previous posts and see if anyone had a similar issue and how they resolved it

Keep monitoring the sores, if they get worse using the solution I'd stop using it myself and go back to the vet or see if there's another vet you can go to for a second opinion.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukidama's mama View Post
Hi [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon1.gif[/IMG] I'm wondering could it be an allergic reaction? I haven't dealt with red sores myself but have read lots of previous posts about them. If a skin infection, ingrown quills, and mites are ruled out sometimes the cause can be an allergic reaction to something. Also just because you use fleece doesn't mean they can't get mites. How does the rest of the skin look, not dry or flaky? Did the vet do a skin scraping and check for mites?

Here's some questions to help rule out an allergic reaction:
What do you wash the fleece with? As in is the detergent scent free, additive free and ok for sensitive skin?

Hopefully someone who has dealt with this before will add on otherwise you can use the forum search function to look back at previous posts and see if anyone had a similar issue and how they resolved it [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon1.gif[/IMG]

Keep monitoring the sores, if they get worse using the solution I'd stop using it myself and go back to the vet or see if there's another vet you can go to for a second opinion.
What do you wash the fleece with?

I let them soap in a mix of water and vinegar for some hours and then wash them with plain water in a washing machine.

As in is the detergent scent free, additive free and ok for sensitive skin?

Haven't found a good one yet so I don't use one.

I gave him a bath on June 23 with apple cider vinegar and olive oil and today an oath bath

The food that the breeder uses. He said is not on the market and it is made by someone in Hungary. I plan on changing it once I finish it and /or I find a better alternative. I don't think is the food because he should have had a reaction way sooner and his pop looks okay to me.

I don't believe the sores are getting worst, but there is a crust that is forming at the base of the quill.

I read that albino quills are thicker and maybe this is why... I don't know.

He is not bothered by them at all. He is okay with me touching them and moving the quills around to see better and he is very energetic.

What is starting to really concern me ar the ones on top of his head where he doesn't have quills. I can't blame the growing spine for those...

I will try another vet in the following days, maybe they will know better than the last one... The last one asked me what is he (thought he is a mouse) and if I found him somewhere...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180626_145539_1530018840275.jpg (79.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20180626_145822_1530018878902.jpg (109.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180624_202447_1530018915376.jpg (89.5 KB, 9 views)

Tags
inflammation, mites, red spot, skin infection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in