Hedgehog Central banner

Loose and Slightly Watery Stool After Probiotic Use

937 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Yukidama's mama 
#1 ·
For most of the time that I've had my girl, she has had dark greenish poop. The consistency is fine and she eats and acts normally. I've asked the vet about it and they say that she is healthy.

Recently I bought Bene-bac Probiotics for exotic animals, and I've been sprinkling about 1/4 teaspoon into her kibble (roughly 2 tablespoons of kibble. She is 350 grams).
After I started giving her the probiotic she started to have loose and slightly watery stools. I read that this is normal for animals such as dogs because it is essentially "detoxing" their gut, but should I be concerned with my hedgehog?

I've been giving her the probiotics for 2 days now, and only half the recommended dose (the directions say to give her 1/2 a teaspoon but I've been giving her 1/4). Should I stop giving her the probiotics or keep going?

#2 ·
Hey, I use the benebac probiotic and have never had a problem with it causing loose or watery stools. I initially just started putting a light sprinkle, like a pinch over the food and gradually built up the dose. My boy is around 470g now (but was probably around 350g back then) and I still don't give him half a teaspoon, probably about 1/4 of a teaspoon now and it always helps if he has a bout of green tinge poop or soft poop from a stressful bath or something.

Tbh if it was me, I'd probably go back to the vets about her dark green poop. It's not normal for it to be green, should be the same colour as her food. But I was in the same position with Yuki. On and off for the first 8 months I had him he had dark green poop or id see in his litter tray bright dark green skids! The probiotics helped a little but never got rid of it completely and never gave him watery stools. The vet checked his green poop sample and said it was fine when they looked at it but prescribed a week of Baytril antibiotics. This was the only thing to get rid of the dark green poop completely! I was worried the antibiotics would make his poops worse, more green or give him diarrhea, but it was completely fine. He seemed to enjoy the antibotic flavour lol and I gave the benebac once a day between his medicine.

A few months later, he does still occasionally get green tinge on the last part of his poop but it's not the same (not dark green or inky mucus like before). Perhaps he could do with another treatment of antibiotics but I'm currently looking to change him onto a raw diet so wanted to see if it improved at all first.

I'd stop giving the probiotic for now until her poops are solid again and only use a pinch or two and give once or twice a week :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.