Help! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help!

My hedgehog is new to our family. He was fine yesterday. Now he is like gasping for air, squeaking with each breath. He has a bit of blood from his mouth and bum. Acting very lethargic and limp. There is no vets in my area to take him to. Is there anything we can do to save him if he is dying?
tell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to find a vet asap, even if it means driving for a couple of hours or so. Your hedgehog is very very sick and there is nothing you can do for him except get him help.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

He needs to see a vet urgently. Is there no emergency animal hosptial?

Has he been eating and drinking ok? When was the last time he poop / past urine?
Is there anything in the cage he could have injured himself on?
What is his cage temperature?

Keep him warm (body heat only) and do not put him in any water. You need to call around and find even a non exoctic vet that will try to help him.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

So, unfortunately my hedgie passed away. But what could it have been that made him that sick? He was fine that morning at six and was walking around at nine when I got home from work. I woke up to my husband on the porch holding him saying he might not make it. This was our first hedgie and only had him for two weeks. I'd like to get another, but worried the same thing or something similar will happen. My husband on the other hand is too upset and worried for another. He was in a cage in the windowsill on the evening sun side of the house.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm so sorry to hear he didn't make it. The only way to know for certain is to have a necropsy done, which will show if he had an underlining health issue. Do you get him from a breeder? Did he come with a health guarantee or had been vet checked before sold to you?

If you do decide to get another hedgehog, I personally wouldn't have the cage on the windowsill or near a window. Drafts can cause them to hibernate. I'd also research first a vet that would be willing to see a hedgehog nearby as they are prone to illnesses, so best to know if there is somewhere you can go, otherwise perhaps a different animal would be best.
nikki likes this.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

He was near a window but also above the base board heat. So maybe a heating lamp? Our house is usually fairly warm, but we did have a cold weather spell but we held him and warmed him every few hours. Like I said he was running and was absolutely great this morning.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

It is recommended to have a heating set up (like a CHE + thermostat) and use a reptile thermometer probe in the cage to monitor the temperature. But I honestly don't know, he could have had an underlining illness. If it would give you some peace of mind, a necropsy is the only thing that will confirm what caused him to pass away. I'm really sorry again for your loss ♡
Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you so much. It means a lot for you to have taken time out to reply and mention that. Before we get another, we'll take the time to research a lot more in depth (we did but clearly not quite enough). Thank you again.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

One thing I made sure I had close by was an exotic animal vet who sees hedgehogs because in an emergency it’s very important. If we didn’t have one close by, I would had never gotten my hedgie. Just something to think about before getting another one.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in