Hibernation? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation?

So I have my hedgehog in a current temp set to 75 degrees. Sometimes the temp drops to 73 degrees Fahrenheit when the ac is on, but my heat lamp thermostat always kicks it back up to 74/75. Lately he has been waiting till really late in the night to run in his wheel or even get up, maybe 2 or 3 am? He still has an appetite, but I’m worried the heat lamp isn’t warming the whole cage and it’s still not warm enough for him because his activity level seems to have diminished. What temperature do you keep your hedgies at? I’m a worry wart and just want him to be ok.
Karabear14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a similar problem, my heat lamp isn’t heating equally. I’d suggest keeping your normal temp up 1 or 2 degrees just to be safe. The temperature can never go to 72 degrees or less.
HedgieLover53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I keep my hedgie on the warmer side around 26C, 24.5C being the lowest when the AC is on but I turn the AC off when his cage temp starts to lower to 25C.

Since I currently have a wire cage, I cover the front and sides with fleece blankets when I have the AC on to stop it affecting his cage temp and to stop any cool drafts potentially hitting his cage. His CHE is connected so will kick in if the temp drops below 24.5C but it's so hot here it won't, unless the AC is left on by accident. I remove the front fleece blanket if the AC isn't on so it doesn't get too hot in his cage.

How big is your cage? Perhaps you need two CHEs or if not already using one, a dome fixture can help spread the heat more evenly. Or cover his cage on the sides to stop the heat escaping (if using an open wire cage).
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

He’s only about 9 or 10 weeks old now, he was the runt of the litter and he’s pretty small, so I have him in a 120qt sterilite bin right now. I cover half of the top and the other half where the heat lamp is stays open. I bumped the thermostat he has up to 78 yesterday afternoon, but someone put the ac on lower & cooler than usual so the other half of his cage dropped down to 75 degrees Fahrenheit that night. Idk, he could be quilling right now & that’s why he isn’t coming out as much. I’m not sure why he’s so grumpy at this point, but hes definitely not as active as he was, so I’m just nervous... 😞
Karabear14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Babies do tend to sleep a lot and the quilling is painful for them too.

Do you use a lighting schedule? I use an overhead floor lamp shining over my boys cage, it's set on a timer to come on for 12hrs so he gets artificial light during he day and then it turns off at midnight and it's completely dark in the room for him. This really helped my boy get in a routine of when to be awake and when to sleep. He then started sleeping the whole day and was much more active during the night after lights go off. I'd have to wake him up around 10pm with his dinner and then have a cuddle for an hour or so
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in