Bile after self anointing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2018, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Bile after self anointing

Hi all,

I just want to put my mind at rest, so I can finally get some sleep. So last night Edith was sniffing and scratching at a certain part of her liner (which happened to be wet), contorted and vommed all over herself.

This is the first time I have seen her do this, and she is my first hedgehog, so I went into full on panic/crying mode. I whisked her up before she "finished" to wipe her clean. I hadn't realised self-anointing was something that hedgehogs did.

A few moments later she vomited some bile (again, I didn't know it was bile until after I stopped crying and googled it). I called the emergency vet, and even though she hasn't had much experience with hedgehogs said that she is most probably fine.

After a bit of a quiet moment, and a huge poo, she was back to normal. She was running on her wheel, ate plenty, clearly had lots of poos and drank plenty of water. When I checked her this morning, she seemed completely fine.

So my question, is there anything special that I need to do? Other than not let her out of my sight and give her all of the love and affection possible. I contacted the breeder I got her from, and she said that this is normal and I shouldn't worry.

Does the bile have something to do with the anointing thing? It seemed odd that if happened so close together.
EdithTheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
anointing, bile, health, illness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in