Hedgie Sleeping on its Belly. "Splatting" - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MichaelSpies17

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgie Sleeping on its Belly. "Splatting"

Hello everyone! My partner and I are new Hedgie owners, we have had our baby boy Shaymin for 3 weeks now. He's been doing great as far as I can tell. Eating and drinking lots; dry food, some fruits and insects every now and then. Using his wheel tons, and playing with toys I had got for him.

We had noticed he had started sleeping on his belly more often recently. Sometimes he's in a 'loose ball' shape and other times he's on all fours. I have heard this is called "Splatting", and can happen when your hedgie is too warm, or if they are just very comfortable.

It is getting a bit hot in my area, (getting about 95 degrees outside during the day). So I've adjusted his CHE, so his cage reads 74- 76 degrees. The inside of my house stays at 73 degrees from my thermostat. I just want to be sure that I'm not potentially over-heating his enclosure. All advice, and tips are welcomed! Thank you all so much!
MichaelSpies17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hello and welcome

Do you have a digital thermometer in his cage? If not I highly recommend you buy one, they're very cheap to get online (Amazon, reptile section). The house temp and his cage temp can differ, depending on drafts, fans, air con or even how close to the floor the cage is. Also your CHE must be used with a reptile thermostat, this is not optional. Again can be bought online same place you'll find the digital thermometer and will make his cage much safer. The thermostat will have a built in thermometer (you'll need the separate digital one as usually thermostats don't display the temp) so will turn itself automatically on and off when it gets too hot or cold, when you set it at the required temp. Sorry if you're already using one and ive misunderstood, but recently there's been many new members who didn't realise they needed one. It's a fire hazard not to use one, especially in winter when they'll be running a lot.

Re the splatting. You can offer a ceramic tile in his cage as a cooling spot to use if he gets too hot (my boy used to always pee on it though, I guess the cool sensation made him need to go! Lol). Also terrocots pots are popular her too. What worked for me last summer was using an ice pack (must be wrapped in a towel to catch the dripping water though) placed on top of the cage. My boy would go and lay under this area during the night so he must have liked it as it wasn't where his main hide was
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2018, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukidama's mama View Post
Hello and welcome [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon1.gif[/IMG]

Do you have a digital thermometer in his cage? If not I highly recommend you buy one, they're very cheap to get online (Amazon, reptile section). The house temp and his cage temp can differ, depending on drafts, fans, air con or even how close to the floor the cage is. Also your CHE must be used with a reptile thermostat, this is not optional. Again can be bought online same place you'll find the digital thermometer and will make his cage much safer. The thermostat will have a built in thermometer (you'll need the separate digital one as usually thermostats don't display the temp) so will turn itself automatically on and off when it gets too hot or cold, when you set it at the required temp. Sorry if you're already using one and ive misunderstood, but recently there's been many new members who didn't realise they needed one. It's a fire hazard not to use one, especially in winter when they'll be running a lot.

Re the splatting. You can offer a ceramic tile in his cage as a cooling spot to use if he gets too hot (my boy used to always pee on it though, I guess the cool sensation made him need to go! Lol). Also terrocots pots are popular her too. What worked for me last summer was using an ice pack (must be wrapped in a towel to catch the dripping water though) placed on top of the cage. My boy would go and lay under this area during the night so he must have liked it as it wasn't where his main hide was [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/images/smilies/icon1.gif[/IMG]
Not only do I have a digital thermometer with the temperature prong set -up in his cage (zoo- med brand). I also have a hand-held digital one I can check in ANY place in his cage as well. I have my CHE set up to a zoo-med thermostat (a reptile one) . My zoo-med thermostat is set at 76, I am aware of outside temperatures being different than cage temps. I have tons set up for that reason! 😄

My main thermostat prong reads 74.6 usually. Going more near the CHE I can see it goes up to 78 degrees. Then at the far end of his cage (Which is 5 ft. Wide 4 ft. long) it reads 72- 73 usually. Just want to be sure its not too hot. He usually sleeps somewhere in the middle of my cage. Where his main teepee (sleep hut) is at. Also underneath a blanket nearby there. If 72 and below is there hibernation temperature, I have always been sure to keep it above that, but a bit below 80. I can try to get some tile, that seems like a cage renovation might be the action to take with that.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
MichaelSpies17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well that's great then! You hadn't mentioned it and sounded like you were going off the temp of your house thermostat, my bad ><. Oh those hand held digital ones sound like such a good idea to have as an extra checker, I really want to get one!

Sorry I'm not good with farenheit, I use celsius degrees but those temps sound ok, except for the far end being a bit low, you might find once it starts approaching winter that you'll need a second CHE or if not already using one, a dome fixture to spread the heat more evenly. So is the CHE positioned in the middle of the cage where he normally lies? Perhaps that's why he's splatting if it's 78 in that area?

Yep definitely worth a try, and the ice pack works well too! You do have to change them a few times throughout the day/night though. It's 29C here today with my boys cage reaching almost 28C when the aircon isn't on, so I'll have to get my ice packs out soon! ><
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in