Needing answers - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2018, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Needing answers

I have been dealing with my hedgehog trying to go in and out of hibernation for the past few days, I was able to wake her some by placing her on my skin and keeping her warm. This morning, as I was about to feed her I noticed her making a weird noise, I picked her up and she vomited a green foamy substance and she curled into a ball with half a paw sticking out and will not uncurl,( I can normal get her to by ticking her sides) I’ve tried everything to get her to and I still can’t.. I warmed up a heating pack and placed a towel over it and laid her on it to see if she’d uncurl any and still no luck.. can hedgehogs pass away curled up? I’m just needing any kind of answers..
Taylorbri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have you still not taken her to the vet? She is very sick and there is a very possible chance she will die soon if you do not get her treatment. As the others said on your other post, just go to any vet (regardless of whether they are knowledgeable about hedgehogs or not) and refuse to leave until they take a look at her.

Throwing up is a very bad sign.

You need to seek help immediately.

Last edited by autumnfox; 05-30-2018 at 01:25 AM.
autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi there, myself and two more members have all replied to your post yesterday, giving advice on what you should do. Please check the post asap!

You need to take your hedgehog to the closest vet IMMEDIATELY. Demand to be seen even if they don't usually see hedgehogs. It sounds like possible exhaustion/estivation and now hibernation. She needs medical treatment urgently and a vet who treats small animals should be able to help her. I hope you can get her seen, keep us posted ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I looked up cases where a hedgehog can die in a curled position, and it can happen. I pray that your girl has not just passed away.

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yes I have and everyone says the same thing, that they are not experienced with these types of animals and there’s nothing they can do, they are scared to give me advice because they truly don’t know what they are doing.. I’ve been to several places and I get the same answers, and most places weren’t very kind after I showed up after calling them multiple times after already telling me there’s nothing they can do. I even called the vet that I work with that comes in from out of state but she said they same thing.. They are not understanding this is a family pet and it’s breaking our hearts, my next step would be to drive out of state to take her to a vet but I’m not comfortable with putting her in a car for hours in this situation she’s in. I’ve even tried calling vets over the phone on websites I could find. I’m running out of options. I even tried to contact the breeder, which I’ve had her for almost 5 years so they were not very much help either with her situation. I’m beyond terrified for my little girl.
Taylorbri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm really sorry to hear that no vets will see her, that's awful. If it is heat stroke surely they would perform a similar treatment for her?!

https://lafeber.com/vet/heatstroke-i...anion-mammals/

Which State are you based, perhaps someone can help locate a vet for you if they live in the same area. Where does your breeder go? Surely they have a regular vet they use??

In the meantime, just make sure the temperature of her cage is stable and she is getting enough fluids in her. Syringe her water and food (little and often) if she isn't doing it by herself. Do not put her in any water until she is better and do not use a heat pad anymore. Also make sure there are no drafts from the room fan hitting her. Her body temperature needs to be stable. What is the temperature of her cage? Do you happen to have a thermometer for small animals, to also check her body temperature?
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in