HELP PLEASE! Rescue hoglet bleeding from ears - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP PLEASE! Rescue hoglet bleeding from ears

Found a 100g abandoned hedgie in a park yesterday morning. We looked to see if it was with it’s family as there were no other hedgehogs nearby. Another thing to note is that hedgehogs are not allowed as pets in my country (Southeast-Asia), so this means that this one is probably illegally imported / breeded and then abandoned.
This is why we can’t take it to a vet either or we’ll be fined $1000. We tried taking it to a police station (don’t ask me why, mom’s idea) but they told us they won’t accept it.
So we brought it home and cleaned it up and took care of it. Bought some non-fish based good quality kitten food from the pet store and crushed it up into tiny pieces so she ate well. Only thing was she wouldn’t drink water and kept refusing to drink every dish we put in front of her until we tried anything almond milk (the only lactose free milk we have).
There were no open wounds or bleeding on her when we brought her home. However, in the evening on the first day we started seeing tiny maggots in her basket (large and lined with newspaper). Researched online and gave her a salt water bath and combed her with a soft toothbrush to get the maggots off her.
This next morning there was only 1 maggot in the basket compared to at least twenty the night before.
We gave her a bath again and checked to make sure there were no fly eggs leftover.
She is also pooping a lot on this second day, we have to change the sheets almost every 2-3 hours. Not sure if this is normal.
But by far the most worrying thing is that this evening we found her bleeding from her ears and there was a lot of blood on the newspaper.
According to my sister she saw a maggot fall out of the bloody area as well. At this point we think it’s highly possible someone abandoned this poor baby because she was sick, but we don’t know what to do besides cleaning her up again.
We’re at the moment doing all we can to find a sympathetic vet who won’t report us, but don’t really know what else to do in the meantime.
Please help if you guys have any advice or experience at all as we are at a loss right now and just really want to ensure all steps are made to help Eggy survive and be healthy.
Attached: 1st picture of how we found her in the park and 2nd picture of the first day when she was happily eating kitten food and 3rd picture of how we found her in the basket the second evening bleeding. Warning it’s very sad and broke my heart when I saw her.
EggytheHedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2018, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ah the poor thing, it's good you found her and took her in

Is there an animal rescue centre/shelter you could take her to? They would have a vet treat the animals there and probably would be more willing to help. Definitely sounds like she needs to be seen by a vet and get treatment asap if she has a chance of survival. Blood from the ears does not sound good. She could have a maggot infestation inside her vulva or anus or I guess in her ears if you saw one come out from there.

Re the drinking, you could try adding a little water to the kitten food. I do this for my boy (he barely drinks from his water dish and won't touch hard cat food) so he consumes a lot of water this way and also eats way more like this. I'd boil the water first and pour a little on the food and let it soak/cool down before giving it to her). Can you get hold of some mealworms (you'd find them in the reptile section of a pet store). That'll help her gain weight.

Just try to keep her warm and dry, if you have a blanket (with no loose threads) that would be better than newspaper.

I hope you can find a vet/rescue centre who can help her and she survives. Keep us posted ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Try flushing her ears with warm salt water to see if there are more maggots in them. Other than that there really isn't anything you can do to help her than what you're already doing. Good luck.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Make sure she has a blanket that she can envelop herself in. They like to hide and it will give her one less thing to stress about to be covered. Keep her warm. Keep giving her food even if she won't eat it. You might try to splash some VERY LOW sodium chicken broth onto her food so that it might help entice her to eat/make the food softer and easier to eat/ help her get some fluid.
Askeptosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in