Hedgehog died unexpectedly - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog died unexpectedly

Hello,

I had a hedgehog for a year and a half since he was a baby. He was great and never had any health related issues up until two days ago.

I came to see him two nights ago, and he wasnt moving much. He hadnt eaten the night before or drank any water. He seemed very weak and wobbled when he walked but could only take a few steps. I gave him so water some other foods. His belly was cold which when I researched that, it seemed he could be hibernating. I put him on a heating pad and he was more responsive after 30 min. I left the heating pad over night on low.

I went to check on him yesterday morning and he was back in the slow moving state so I rushed him to the vet. However, he died before I got there.

Can someone please tell me what may have happened for him to die like this? This was all so sudden and Im struggling thinking that I did something wrong and that I killed my little friend. Please help.
Chesterw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sorry for your loss. Heating pads are not recommended to use to warm up a hibernating hedgehog as the suddenly hot temperature is not good. Heating pads can also burn hedgies so it's not recommended to use them. It's best to use our body heat to slowly warm them up in cases of hibernation. In order to know 100% how your he died it's best to get an autopsy done.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I researched that I was supposed to use a heating pad. It was on low and under his bedding so that he was not in direct contact with it. It still seems very weird that he could pass away so suddenly with no previous health issues. Even if he was cold and entering hibernation, I feel like there must be something else that happened, but I do not know enough about them to make a final decision. It was just so fast and unexpected that I dont know what to do with myself.
Chesterw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know where you read that heating pads are recommended but it's not true. Just using our body heat is best. I'm sorry again for your loss. Maybe if you really want to you can get an autopsy done.
Askeptosaurus likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in