New hedgie mommy with lots of worries! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New hedgie mommy with lots of worries!

Hello everyone!! I hope that I am posting this in the correct spot, and I hope you're enjoying your Halloween festivities! Anyway, I'm a new hedgie mommy to a little girl named Pumpkin (she was between 5-6 weeks old when I got her, and on Friday I will have had her for 3 weeks) and I have lots of worries. It reminds me of when I had my son! Everything is a worry! Lol!
First, she's grown SO much! She was 40g when I got her (I think?? I was pretty excited/nervous so I was trying to take in everything) but I haven't weighed her since. Is this normal?
Second, she's itchy and losing small quills everywhere. She may be quilling but I wanted to know if this is how quilling works.
Third, she had a couple funky quills on her side and I just noticed last night that there's a large bump under the quills. My boyfriend successfully got two of them out (we've been stalking this site religiously since we got her and we both agreed that its ingrown quills) and applied Neosporin. He said some clear stuff came out of the quill hole. Should I take her to the vet?
She bites a lot. Could this mean she doesn't like me? Or do I just smell good enough to eat?
Her favorite thing right now is meal worms. She's not interested in yogurt, fruit or veggies. I have given her banana and she took a little bite but that was the end of that. She needs more variety in her diet but she refuses to try anything else. How can I get her to open up to more foods?
That's all I can think of for now!
Thank you!!

Saline_queen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New hedgie mommy with lots of worries!

Yes, she's quilling. Dry skin and falling out quills is very normal for quilling. Try giving her an oatmeal bath to help sooth the dry skin and any pain or itch quilling may be causing her.

I'm not sure about weight. 40g seems way too small. Either way they grow quick.

Are you washing your hands before handling her? Are you washing with a scented soap? She may not like the scent you are using. If she's licking you before she bites then it's probably something yummy tasting to her. If she's just going straight into biting then its probably something she doesn't like. Try an unscented soap if you aren't already.

My Milo doesn't eat a wide variety. I have only tried a couple things here and there with him. From what i understand they don't need a huge variety of options in their diets. A lot of time little ones will not like something at first but if you try to reintroduce it every once in a while then she may decide later on she likes it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milo 2 months.jpg (48.8 KB, 19 views)

sparkmanr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Way way way too small. Lol! I just looked at her little adoption certificate and she was 170g. The lady I bought her from sent it to me with the contract so I didn't even think to look until just now. It's amazing what can happen when you read. Lol. I should've weighed her weekly but I honestly didn't think she'd grow so fast!

Thank goodness, I thought for sure it was quilling but wanted to make sure. Ill try the oatmeal in her bath water to help! Just as soon as she lets me bathe her for more than 30 seconds lol!

Sometimes it's licks/lapping and almost like a playful bite and others its almost like she charges and then bites. I use 2 different soaps but I'm going to buy something unscented and see how she reacts. She bites after mealworms but I'm chalking that up to the scent of the meal worm and not hatred. Lol. Some days she's a sweetheart and some days she's a grump but it seems like that's just their nature? She doesn't hiss and huff as much and she's keeping her quills down now that she's getting used to us.

Thank you for your response!!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I bath Milo in a small sterilite container in the sink that he can't get out of. It's got high sides. He doesn't like baths either. In fact I just bathed him last night. He was running around inside the container and when he realized there was no escape he huddled in the corner while he waited for the rest of his torture. He doesn't really like baths at all. He seems to like the snuggling afterwards but he huffed and hissed at me last night. He's been in an extra bad mood the last week I would say from the quilling. I can't wait till this is over. I'm just hoping his personality perks up after its all said and done. But if not I will deal and love him anyway.

I would definitely try a different soap if you are using scented soap. And yes, I would chalk that up to mealies too if you were handling them then trying to handle her. I think the back and forth moods are more in their nature while quilling. I think they are a little more consistant when they are done quilling and out of that stage. But i can't be sure. I haven't gotten there yet.

You should post pics of her. Everyone on here loves pics and i would love to see what she looks like.

sparkmanr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to msredhead

And with the bath, try putting a towel at the the bottom of the sink or tub - Auri does much better now with the bath since I started doing that. And with new foods, introduce a few at a time - Auri LOVES sour cream (we gave her bits when she was pregnant), so we give her some now and then but VERY little. She also loves the dried chicken cat treats (Petco has them) and wet cat food. She's picky with normal cat foods, but she loves her Purina one chicken/oat dry mix. I haven't gotten her to eat anything else besides kitten food and her treats.

Also, you can try baby food. Bananas, carrots, squash, pumpkin, etc... They seem to like that, too!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think she is probably biting because she is in pain from quilling. The biggest thing I found that helped with that was long soaks in a warm bath. It makes the skin soft so the new quills coming in are less painful. And while Fitz didn't like baths at first, now he enjoys them (and gets one every week and foot baths in between). When heavily quilling I would let him sit in the water for 10-15 minutes and just take my time washing him and he would be a totally different calm and relaxed hedgie right after and it would last a few days. You can bathe them a lot when they are quilling. Every 2-3 days if you think she needs it.

And the only treats Fitz will eat regularly is mealworms. He love scrambled eggs and apples, but even then sometimes he turns his nose up. I tried watermelon several times this week (which I have read on here is a very common favorite behind mealworms) and he licked and maybe nibbled a bit and then just turned around and walked off every time I offered it. *shrug* As long as they eat their kibble you don't have to worry about them not getting enough nutrients.

Also, these are all the same questions I asked when I first got Fitz too! lol.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

thank you all for the replies, tips and reassurance! I am glad to also know that it's ok to give multiple baths. i have given her 2, and was kind of scared that I was over doing it, but now that i know i can, i am going to be giving her frequest baths. the ingrown quill seems to be doing a little better, i need to remove 2 more. it looks like a pimple after you pop it and it looks like a scab. hopefully a vet isnt needed but she eats very well so im not extremely worried. so far her favorites are mealworms and roast beef but I am going to keep introducing her to foods and keep trying the ones she turns her nose up at. i want to get her some baby food as well. and i also want to try sour cream! she may have to go to the vet to have her nails clipped because theyre sharp and she won hold still long enough for me to do it lol!!
btw your babies are all SOOOOO cute!! here's some of my little pumpkin!!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

What a cute little girl!

I pulled about 5 ingrown/inflamed quills from Fitz since he started quilling. They all came out really easy with like zero resistance, so after the first one it wasn't a big deal. The ones that were extra gooey I pressed the stuff out with a clean qtip then I just put some neosporin on them and they scabbed over and were gone in a few days. I think as long as they look like they are healing and don't stay full of puss it's probably fine.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'd suggest feeding the roast beef sparingly, if at all, unless it happens to be homemade. Deli meats are high in salt and tend to have other spices/herbs for flavor. Might be why she likes it, but it's not healthy. Meat should be unseasoned, such as plain chicken breast that you steam or boil.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Her quills came out pretty resistant free as well. I just noticed that she has a small one on her head by her ear and another on her back near her bum. Poor baby!!! Is there anyway to prevent them??

The roast beef was homemade, I don't eat deli meats myself too often because the salt makes me feel gross lol!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in