Hibernation attempt!? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hibernation attempt!?

I think Walter may have had a hibernation attempt. The electric went out around 5:30 pm and since then I put a hot water bottle in his cage, wrapped his cage (c&c) in two blankets and have had all the candles I own lite next to his cage while I'm sitting next to them. I just took him out and he was cold and almost felt wet, he was sluggish, too. Not his normal self. I currently have him on my chest with a snuggle sack, hand warmer and down blanket and he seems okay but the problem is that his cage was only 69-70 degrees with the blankets and candles and I can't leave the candles burning all night while I sleep. He was liner diving, laying on the cold coroplast, which I'm sure couldn't have helped but I'm scared to go to bed. How can I make sure he'll be warm enough? I don't know when the electric will be back on.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hibernation attempt!?

Did you stock up on hand warmers? I stocked up on about 20 of them for my boy and we're not really getting hit with the worst of it. I know many on the south side of the boarder stocked up on many hand warmers, foil wraps, tin cans(for making cat can stoves) to be able to boil water for hot water bottles.

Do you have a smaller emergency cage handy? Or a carrier? You want to put him in a smaller location, with the handwarmers.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Definitely sounds like a hibernation attempt. I agree - a smaller container for the night might help, and securing the fleece so he can't dive under. Insulate the container as much as you can without completely cutting off ventilation - thick quilts underneath, wrap it in blankets or foil heat blankets, etc. Keep it away from any windows or outside walls to avoid drafts and cooler air. Try to keep it up off the floor too, since that'll be colder than up higher.

If you have enough hand warmers, best way to heat him is to put a bunch underneath the cage. They should still have access to oxygen to keep working then, and will hopefully last the amount of time advertised for. If you don't have enough, is there a way to make it safe to keep the candles going? My thoughts were putting them in metal cans or glass jars or something so they're contained, and setting them in some kind of bin to keep them from being easily knocked over. If you have a card table, perhaps you could put his smaller container on the table, then put a container filled with candles underneath? I'm not sure how much it would help heat, but it might do something.

Unless he's a rabid runner and gets extremely upset when his wheel is gone, I would also personally take it out. He may choose to sleep instead of run, if his wheel's gone, which means he stays in a more enclosed space, with his bedding, and will hopefully stay warmer.

Good luck!

Also if it's safe for you to go anywhere and you have anyplace to even take him with power, that could be an option. But definitely don't risk your safety if it's still really bad outside.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do have hand warmers but it doesn't say how long they last. I only have a sterilize bin that I could put him in but it's so small. Before I saw this (and came out to my car to charge my phone) I put a different hidey/sleepy house in his cage with a hand warmer in a sock and a fleece blanket on top of it and directed him to go in there instead of liner diving. The temp of his cage was up to 76 when I came out. I can put a down blanket over his cage too.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad you got it up! Keep an eye on the hand warmer - when kept in socks or other little pouches, sometimes you need to remove them and shake them up again after awhile to get them going again. Definitely try that before you throw one out. If you're nervous about something happening while you're sleeping, you could set your phone alarm for every 2-3 hours or so. That way you get some sleep (even if it's broken up a bit), but you'll still be checking him often enough to make sure the cage is warm and to catch him if he gets cool again.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm sorry for the delayed response. My phone died and had no way of charging it. I put hand warmers in the bottom of his pirate ship where it zips and we're okay. One of them is still warm! He's at work with me now.. Even though we should've just stayed home. Thank you so much for the advice. I hope the electric comes back soo.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad to hear you guys are still doing okay! Even at work...blegh, can't believe you didn't get called off or something. Keep us updated! I'm keeping fingers crossed and good thoughts going to everyone caught in the storm's path, especially all our hedgie slaves and their quilly ones.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes! We haven't had a day off this whole week. Im so livid. I think everyone is okay! Haven't heard too bad of news yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in