I need advice.. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SquirtleSquirt
  • 1 Post By Yukidama's mama

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2018, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need advice..

My female hedgehog is 1.5 years old. I was holding her one day and put her on my bed and noticed she was favoring her right paw. I called the vet. He said, take the wheel away and then call me back in a week. So I took the wheel away and the first night she was going crazy so I gave it back. Then I noticed she was still favoring her paw. So I took the wheel away and she seemed ok! I waited a week and half and still favored it. So I brought her into the vet last Friday, he said it looks like it’s a SCC tumor and if it hasn’t gone to the shoulder then we can amputate it and she will be fine. So today when I brought her back to do the X-rays he called and said it looks like bone cancer. First off, I’m from Maine and hedgehogs just became legal here. That’s a thing to remember. He has only taken a class to see exotic animals and doesn’t specialize them. So my instant reaction was to immediately get a second opinion. Which I told him about and he thinks I’m crazy! He said and his exact words were “he’s a 25 dollar critter and you’re going to be paying a lot of money to fix it” first of all. She’s a girl and wasn’t $25. Money isn’t an option here. I will pay anything as long as my baby isn’t suffering in the process. I just feel that I need a second opinion because she seems okay, she eat, drinks, ambulates fine although she favors that paw, urinates and removes her bowels completely fine. Yes I now hedgehogs don’t show pain but he even said when he touched it today she didn’t seem in distress by it. I’m a complete mess. I’m also 15 weeks pregnant and stress isn’t good for me or my baby and my fur baby. I’m at loss for words. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone ever gone through this? Please help. 😪
Richas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2018, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Take her to a different vet. He obviously does not care about the wellbeing of your animal and is probably saying BS just to see how much money he can scam out of you. I would not go back to him.

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wooowwwww that vet was soooo rudeee...you definitely need to find a different vet...and to be honest even if u can’t find one who specializes in hedgehogs they will probably be better than that vet
Mjskates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Definitely try a second vet. My hedgehog hasn't been using his left leg much lately and the vet I usually go to couldn't get to the bottom of it so I tried a second opinion. I've been getting answers and going for follow-ups.
Yukidama's mama likes this.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree, definitely seek a second opinion with a more experienced vet. Did he actually show you the X-rays and discuss it with you so you could see what he is saying is the issue? I wouldn't put my hedgie in his care, especially to do such a drastic operation, if he has such a low opinion on a small animal and disregards her like that . But definitely get her checked by someone else and xrays redone if necessary, they might have a different opinion. Just because she's seems fine now I wouldn't ignore it as she could get progressively worse and then would be too late to treat/help her (if she does have a form of cancer and it spreads). Keep us posted ♡
nikki likes this.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

So sorry to hear about your hedgie! Hope she is okay.

I am new here , just joined today. I have an albino hedgehog named Eden and he will be four years old May 17th. I came on here because I am worried something might be wrong with him. And I know hedgehogs are prone to getting health problems as they get older. So basically we took him out of his cage today to clean it up and he was totally acting normal letting us hold him and eating his food. And then a couple hours or so later my boyfriend said to come look at him - he was in a ball. Usually, when he goes to grab him from sleeping he lets him pick him up or if its early and hes grumpy he might hiss once or twice but then is happy to come out. So we try everything to get him to come out - put meal worm by his nose and positioning him certain ways to see if he will just un roll but he wouldn't. He just stayed spiked up. He was also not sleeping in his bed he was behind his wheel in corner which is not normal either.

Me being the worry wart that I am I head to google and start looking stuff up and I was worried about him trying to slip into hibernation. It was 74 degrees in house like normal so my boyfriend just thought he was grumpy but my motherly instincts just told me to watch over him so I wrap him up in a towel and let him lay on my chest like people say to do if they are attempting hibernation. He stayed in a ball for about thirty minutes then he was starting to poke his head out /get up. So my boyfriend tries to pick him up and back into a ball; same if I tried as well. So we would wait /leave him alone and every so often he'd act like he was about to unroll all the way but did not want to be touched. So we decide to put him back in his home for a bit maybe hes just grumpy but it doesn't make sense as he was fine earlier. We check about half an hour later and he did come out on his wheel and pooped but has not ate his meal worms/food which isn't normal. Tried taking him out but again doesn't want to be touched.

Not sure why he is acting like this so suddenly ?? Wondering if a vet visit is in order? Hes only gone once over a year ago because he hurt one of his eyes that he ended up going blind in other than that no vet visits. He did have a heat stroke unfortunately last summer when our ac messed up - thank God my bf found him in time and cooled him off so he definitely is a trooper but I am worried that he might be getting sick? Only thing I have noticed is about two months ago we noticed he hurt his back foot - there was a good size bump on it thinking he fell off his wheel maybe? And the bump is still there hasn't really shrunk much. Its not broken - he walks perfectly fine/normal .

Any ideas? I am really scared of him getting cancer or WHS now that hes getting older:/ The only other time hes been this grumpy was back when he hurt his eye and even then he still would pop out his face for us to give him eye drops. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for a really long post ..
Eden21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in