Helppp my hedgie fell from 13ft :((( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Helppp my hedgie fell from 13ft :(((

Two days ago my Bebbie fell from 2nd floor (around 13-14ft) 😭 There’s bruises on her back legs, but she still active, can walk and run normally. I’m going to take her for x-ray today.
She looks hungry, but when she took the food (both CF and worms), she tried to chew then spit it out (intact form). It looks like she couldn’t chew it well. I checked her teeth, and still look good.
Then last night I found an intact worm on her poop, and her poop was green. So I gave her honey and water. But this morning I still found greeny poop on her cage (
Please, help me and Bebby.. She looks hungry but she couldn’t chew it. I’m worried there’s injury in her digestive tract 😭
bebbyhedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

There is a possibility that she has internal injuries from the fall or that she injured her mouth or jaw. X-rays should help figure out what is wrong with her. Please keep us updated.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Took her for X-rays (supinely) was so difficult to get the best photo. Fortunately, the result is good, there’s no cracks or dislocation. And we found bruise on her lower jaw. Maybe it caused she can’t chew the food, and one of her upper teeth (front) has broken.
Vet gave Bebby supplements and prescriptions (Amoxicillin 3mg + Meloxicam 0.02mg). The vet also suggested me to pulverize the CF blend with water+supplement for feeding her, and take her for sunbathing.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is the X-rays result..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32E13DB2-4CE7-4EFB-921C-D735A3FD536D_1524018626508.jpg (86.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, the poor baby. Give her a little hug from me!

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bebby still didn't want to eat by herself. It has been 3days. How many days I should syringe-feeding her? I'm afraid she can't eat dry cat food again.. Please, help me, how to make her want to eat by herself again? Any tips?
Old 04-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oh I'm sorry to hear she fell but glad there was no serious injuries!
You need to keep syringe feeding her until she eats on her own, don't let her go without food for more than 24hrs, they can rapidly deteriorate if they don't eat for more than a day. Have you tried offering her food wet in a small dish whilst you have her out for bonding? (As in soak her cat kibble in a little hot water and mash up until it's mushy, add more water if needed and wait for the water to cool down before giving it). I do this for my boy every night since he won't touch dry kibble. He'll happily eat it as a mush consistency or even like a soup consistency but too watery makes their poop soft. This is a good way to also get their water intake up. I add cut up insects in his food too as he finds them irresistible so you could try this to tempt her or add her favourite treat to the mix. Just make sure it's someting she can easily eat since she's still recovering. It's only been 3 days so it could take a while before she can eat hard kibble again, especially if she bruised her jaw.

Still give any medication you need to give via a syringe but try offering a separate dish of just her food soaked and see if she'll eat from it. You can put it in her cage overnight and see if she's eaten from it by the morning. Make sure to remove any uneaten food in he morning and offer a fresh mix for any daytime snacking, then make up a fresh mix for the night again. But keep syringe feeding food as well if she doesn't eat by herself in front of you. She might well eat it later on when she's on her own and it's complete darkness in her cage.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Have you tried any soft cat food? My boys don't like it, but I've seen other people say theirs just love it. I like the idea about mashing the food in the water. Sure hope she gets better soon.
jwngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's been 3 weeks pasca the accident. But my Beby still can't eat dry kibbles. But if I soak the dry kibbles she eats a lot. Any tips to bring her back eating dry kibbles? She's just 4months y.o, anw.
Are the kibbles will be reduced the nutrition if soaked in water?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

I don't think adding water reduces the nutrition in anyway. As I mentioned before I also have to add water to my boys kibble otherwise he won't eat, but adding water he eats so much and has gained ALOT of weight lol ><. He was too small before so that's not neccessarily a bad thing, I'm just going to swap kibble brands with a lower fat content now. If you still want her to go back to dry kibble, just try gradually adding less water and see if it makes any difference to how much she eats. You could try adding dry kibble to the wet mix, they'll still go a bit soggy but if she'll eat them whole and just a bit soggy then I'd just do that for her going forward.

If you're worried about her teeth, it is only speculation as to whether dry kibble actually helps with plaque. Your best bet is to brush their teeth like you would a dog or cat. I've recently bought a mini baby toothbrush to try . It is standard practice here in Japan to brush their teeth.

How are her legs doing?
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in