PLEASE help me!! Injured upper leg or hip - Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default PLEASE help me!! Injured upper leg or hip

So, a week ago, I noticed that my hedgehog had his right leg bone kind of sticking upwards whenever he lays down. My mom thought he was compensating for his other side because he has a large cyst (which is non-cancerous, according to my vet) on the left side of his body. I tried to help him by massaging his leg to try to ease any pain, but a few days after, I saw that he threw up and then I noticed that he wasnít walking normally at all. Instead of using the bottom of his foot, he limps on the top/side of it so that his toenails are on the ground. I havenít noticed any bruising around his leg, but his upper leg bone is still sticking out. And because of the awkward way he walks, he sometimes accidentally rolls himself onto his back. He hasnít been running for about a year now but I thought it was due to his cyst and that it was difficult for him to run because of it. I brought him to the vet as soon as I could and they didnít really tell me what was wrong. Iím not sure if they checked his leg at all because they said they couldnít look at it too well because he was huffy and scared. They just told me that it was probably because he is reaching the end of his life since heís 4 years old and gave me a pain medication for his pain. But they never performed any x-rays on him or anything, so how can they be sure his age is whatís wrong? I have no idea if there are any better vets where I live. I just want to know whatís wrong with him so I can help him or even just keep him comfortable for as long as I can. Maybe itís an injury that can be fixed? He still walks around his house but itís hard for him to put his hurt leg down. I donít know what this is, what to do or where to bring him. I just really need some help, to figure out whatís wrong with him and help him. Thanks
sabrina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

I would start calling every vet within a two hour drive and find one that will look at him and do x-rays.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think that’s what’s best for him. I just hope they can actually tell me what’s wrong, thank you

Old 04-14-2018, 04:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Aw poor thing, could it be a dislocation? In any case you need to get him seen again by a different vet and have them look it/take X-rays like nikki suggested. Keep us posted, I hope he recovers soon! ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2018, 06:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was thinking that might be the case! I still need to keep an eye out for a new vet for him. I’ll be sure to let you know what it is when I do get him x rayed! Thank you for the reply and good wishes ♡
Old 04-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Update: We took him to a new vet and found out he has bone cancer in his leg. We cannot amputate his leg because the vet said that it would most likely spread. We’re going to try to make him as comfortable as we can for as long as possible
Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh I'm sorry to hear that Sabrina :'( at least you now know you did everything you could to help him and can now make him as comfortable as possible. Wishing the best for him ♡
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
broken leg, injury, leg injury, limping, wobbly hedgehog syndrome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Ė Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in