EMERGENCY, ANYONE ONLINE PLEASE HELP - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking EMERGENCY, ANYONE ONLINE PLEASE HELP

**** I do not normally frequent these forums but I am in some serious help right now. I have a 3 year old hedgehog girl that has been completely healthy. Lately she has been eating fine, color looks fine, pee and poop look fine, but the only unusual thing I have seen lately is she hasn't been running that much on her wheel at night. Her last bath was last weekend. She was dirty tonight so I went to give her a bath and there is this HORRIBLE looking patch of skin on her. it is bloody looking, some quills came off around the area when I tried to gently brush at it with her brush *there was like poop and quills stuck together around it so i brushed them off* and i do have some pictures but i wont upload immediately because im trying to get some answers as fast as possible. what could have happened? I have no idea how she could have cut herself or something could have cut her. the patch of skin is on the lowest part of her right next to her tail, where the soft skin and quills divide. Does anyone have any idea what this might be or what I can do?! Im really worried about her. I will say this though, i CANNOT take her to a vet right now. I think that might be the answer a lot of people give me but for a lot of reasons that just physically isnt possible to do today or tomorrow and im trying to get some answers, can anyone help me? I cant tell if she is actively bleeding from it or what exactly it is, she freaks out when i go near it. How can i help her, she uses paper bedding, should i be having her lie in towels for the next few days? if its a scrap or something how do i help it heal or is it something much worse? If you need the pictures uploaded I can, but they are really gross looking.... PLEASE HELP ME! THAnk you so much for anyone that can help
needhelpnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: EMERGENCY, ANYONE ONLINE PLEASE HELP

If you can upload the pictures that would help us be able to see if its from biting or scratching at herself or something else.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://imgur.com/a/QxYCk
Here is the link to the imgur i put them all in. I think this should work. The pictures were very hard to take as she was moving around and freaking out a bit (she doesnt like being on her back normally) and the pictures don't really look the same in real life i think, in reality the (wound?) looks worse. it does however not look deep. its not a big chunk or gash, it does seem to be just surface of her body (i think)
http://imgur.com/a/QxYCk

Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

some background information because the forum rules say to.

She is around 3 and a half years, I have owned her the past 2 years. We moved in August but she has not changed cages or anything, temperature is consistent and good in the room/cage. (cage stays around 78 all the time) her poop is normal lately and her pee is normal lately. She hasn't changed how much she eats or drinks though in the past few weeks she has seemed to run less and maybe be a bit lethargic. I just noticed this about a half hour ago and immediately came onto the internet for help, she is back to sleep now. I think her skin is a bit dry but not major. I have never seen a quill come off her before ever until tonight, but only one so I know i shouldnt be that worried about that.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm not a hedgehog first aid expert but it doesn't look like it is bleeding. All can think is to keep it clean and put some regular polysporin on it. Keep an eye on it if it starts to look infected or doesn't get better you will have to go to the vet.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

My guess is that it's self inflicted. We have a girl who has chewed herself on her chest several times, never that bad because we interfered quickly, but I imagine it would have been similar if she kept at it. You really should get her to a vet, something like that can get infected easily. Also self inflicted wounds are usually a sign of either irritation or something internally bothering them. Book a vet appointment ASAP; you can always cancel it later if it looks to be healing before then. In the meantime keep it clean, and you can use some polysporin on it - regular strength and not the pain killer kind. Watch her closely and distract her if she tries to mess with it.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Agreed with moxieberry - get her a vet appointment 1st thing in the morning. Tonight, I'd make sure the area is clean (just water) and dry (pat it dry). Put a little regular strength neosporin/polysporin (NOT the extra strength; NOT the pain relieving) over the area. Clean out her living area. Take all the paper bedding out, scrub down her cage and replace the paper with clean fleece. If you don't have fleece tonight, you can use a clean t-shirt, pillow case, etc... temporarily. Then find her some fleece tomorrow (you don't have to go crazy and get fancy liners... remnants from a fabric store in white or a light color work wonderfully. Flannel also works well. The idea is to find a fabric that doesn't come apart into threads (hedgies have been known to get threads wrapped around toes - which cuts off circulation) - fleece, flannel, and corduroy fit the bill quite well. You want to aim for a light color to allow you to see if she 's bleeding and how much. Dark colors hide the extent of the bleeding.

First thing when you get up in the morning, wash the area again with plain water and pat it dry. Do not rub it dry; do not try and get inventive and use a hair dryer or whatever. Put on another coat of neosporin. Then call the vet for an appointment. The reason I'm thinking you want to get to the vet is (1) to assess for and treat any infection and (2) to help figure out what caused it in the first place -- like if she had a splinter or ingrown quill that become infected or whatnot.

I was a little confused by "I tried to gently brush at it with her brush." I've never used a brush on a hedgehog?? Do you mean like a toothbrush to help loosen the messies from her quills? If so, then that makes sense. <-- just wanted to check on that!
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

You've been given great info on what to do with the injury. I just wanted to mention that flannel isn't a good idea to use as it because it does fray alot and always has loose thread. If you don't have anything at home to use you could use a sheet folded up in the bottom of the cage.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in