I’m afraid my hedgie is dying?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I’m afraid my hedgie is dying??

Over the past few days I’ve noticed a decline in activity in Spike. He almost seems to be in and I don’t care about anything mood. He will be roughly 6 in August. He is still eating and drinking just not as much which I think is partially because he has no teeth. Which brings up another thing, he doesn’t normally let me even close to his mouth, so him letting me check the inside of his mouth last night was very strange for me. He has been very slow moving and last night while he was eating he let me pet him which he doesn’t normally do as he’s normally seems very protective of his food.(I have no other hegies but that is how he acts around his food. Doent want me near his food) Today when I went to pick him up to hold him he didn’t flinch or hiss which he also normally does. He let me pet his nose, ears and top of his head, which if I did any other time I would get a finger full of quills and a bunch of hissing. He has never had any health problems, no lumps or bumps, no drainage from his eyes nose or bottom. I noticed that some of his poop from last night was a little more on the runny side but some poop was still formed. I’m really scared. I know he is old but he’s my first hegie and I love him so much. I know I’m lucky to have even had him this long. Any help to figure out if he is in fact dying or something else is wrong would be greatly appreciated. Anything I can do to make him comfortable.
HaileyRese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

It's sounds like he is getting lethargic from not eating enough. Have you tried softening his food or giving him pate style canned food? If he isn't eating enough you may have to syringe feed him until he's feeling better. I think you can help him through this and to get better.
autumnfox likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2018, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was going to go get some canned cat food and different baby foods for him to try and also soften some of his food I’m feeding him now

Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Spike has definitely declined.. he now can not even use his back legs and appears to have a very hard time pooping.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaileyRese View Post
Spike has definitely declined.. he now can not even use his back legs and appears to have a very hard time pooping.
😞 how was he today?
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Unfortunately I had to put Spike down... the vet determined early this morning that he had cancer. They said we could run more tests but we would only really be prolonging the inevitable. He wasn’t even walking, barely eating and couldn’t even ball himself up. Spike was an AMAZING hedgie! It’s been 18 hours since I’ve lost my baby and I miss him like crazy!❤️
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE7353CA-79E4-48FC-B6D1-273BBE1E865D_1522983844464.jpg (131.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm so sorry for your loss, HaileyRese. I'm sure you were a fantastic owner and gave him a happy and lovely life.

autumnfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ugh sorry 😞 hope you’re doing ok.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Autumnfox is like to think I gave him a pretty good life. He always seemed happy. Thank you guys. ❤️

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in