Hedgehog not using left limbs - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog not using left limbs

Hello! I've posted here once before and it helped out a lot. Previously, Biscuit was having issues that required exploratory surgery. They discovered that her ovaries had calcified and needed to be removed. That was back in October/Novemberish, and she has since recovered.

For the past month and a half or so, we've been battling a different problem. At first I noticed she wasn't really using her front left leg. I went to the vet and they prescribed some antibiotics (I forget which time, it's been a while). When she didn't recover, we tried some anti-inflammatories (assuming it might be physical) as well as another antibiotic (orbax). Now we're on to steroids hoping that'll help out, but sadly I haven't noticed any changes. We've done x-rays as well and looked at the limbs as well as the spinal column but haven't seen anything to suggest any sort of physical injury.

In fact, as of a couple of days ago, it seems as if she isn't using her left leg either. Her coordination also seems to be going out, as I've noticed sometimes when she does stand on her right paw, it's actually the back of her paw she pushes herself up with instead of the bottom, padded part. She will eat some (I put it in her igloo so it's right there for her), but since this started I've been syringe feeding her food and water twice a day (when I give her her medicine). I also hold her up so she can use the bathroom without getting herself dirty, usually sit with her for a little while, then put her back in her enclosure.

At this point, the vet told me that he didn't think there was much he could do and to ensure she has a good quality of life. I've considered euthanasia because the poor thing can't get herself around, but I want to make sure I've tried absolutely everything that I can.

Tonight when I was holding her, I noticed that her breathing also had a sniffly, wheezy sound, and sometimes she makes a more powerful sniff that blows a bit of discharge out--kind of feels like a runny nose? Could this be part of the problem or just another issue because of her being unable to move around? I'm at the end of the line and I don't really want to put her to sleep, but I feel like that might be a better option than her not being able to move. But if there's a chance I can somehow mend her or there's something we missed, I definitely want to do that.

Oh! I almost forgot, she's about two years old. I have had her for a year and a half, and I believe she was around six-ish months old when I got her.

Thanks everyone for your time, and I appreciate any thought you give to this.
Valpal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Has the vet considered the possibility of it being from a stroke? Often one sided weakness is a sign of a brain injury such as a stroke. Have her ears been checked?
Lilysmommy likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
euthanasia, hedgehog, help please, sick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in