Something odd discharged from male? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SquirtleSquirt
  • 2 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Something odd discharged from male?

Hi there! I've searched around a few threads and found that's it kinda common for male hedgehogs to have "boy time", but I'm a little concerned about the result

My boy, Jersey, has never done that before. He was very secluded when I first got him (he was a year and half old at the time), and scared of everything. He doesn't feel comfortable unless he's either with me or on a play date with my female hedgehog (supervised of course! I'm a hedgehog lover, not a breeder).

Last night, however, he seemed to engage in boy time while exploring my desk, and the result was a greyish white glob? it was like a ball of jelly, and had a small odor.

Since he's never done this before, I'm not sure if that's normal, or if I should be concerned? If it isn't normal, does anyone have any idea what it might be? I'd like to take him into the vet and have the issue checked on (swabbed the 'sample' with a cotton ball just in case it's something serious).

But again, I'm not sure if this is a normal result or an issue; he's never done this while with me, and he's going on two years now. He was a breeder in his former home, so it's possible they sold him simply because he couldn't breed, but his first check up was fine.
hovnds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

It most certainly sounds like boy time aftermath. My boy's is also glob like.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Please do not allow your male and female to have any playtime, not even supervised. Female hedgehogs are induced ovulators which means they come into heat every time they are in close contact with a male. Every time you let them have playtime she is coming into heat. Having this happen over and over again is very bad for her physical health and can lead to long term health issues. It also is very frustrating for a male to be close to a female and not be able to breed. This can lead to behavioural issues.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
Please do not allow your male and female to have any playtime, not even supervised. Female hedgehogs are induced ovulators which means they come into heat every time they are in close contact with a male. Every time you let them have playtime she is coming into heat. Having this happen over and over again is very bad for her physical health and can lead to long term health issues. It also is very frustrating for a male to be close to a female and not be able to breed. This can lead to behavioural issues.
This doesn’t answer my question whatsoever but thanks I guess hahah? By “supervised play dates” I mean they’re both allowed to roam the excercise room at the same time. They’ve no interest in going after each other; they’ll occasionally pass each other while scavenging but don’t follow one another. Neither hedgie has ever engaged in mating behavior or even shown interest in one another for more than two seconds. Again, they’re roaming an entire room full of toys, not being put in the same enclosure. Thank you for letting me know though, I’ll be sure to separate them if they ever present issues c:
Old 03-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirtleSquirt View Post
It most certainly sounds like boy time aftermath. My boy's is also glob like.
Oh yuck, haha! Glad to know it’s normal though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in