Vomitting and other concerns - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vomitting and other concerns

Hello

My hedgehog vomitted while eating. she was acting normal before she vomitted and after she vomitted. This is the first time we have tried free feeding her. I have checked other threads, but nothing really suggests that she has food poisoning or an infection. She has been eating the same food (wellness and green pea and duck) for the past two weeks. Is it possible that she just ate too fast? Her vomit looked just like frothy wellness.

She is also having some hair loss, but not much. She used to scratch herself a lot, but now she does not since I have been giving her flax seed oil. I read that hairloss sometimes occurs in the spring (getting a new coat of hair for the new season?)

Her stools are fine, she has been drinking enough water and she runs on her wheel too much(all night for hours). She doesn't like fruit, but eats chicken and mealworms. She is about 6 months old

Cleaned her cage last night. No more vomit since she did it last night and seems to be her usual energetic self. She is also litter-trained (I'm so fortunate that she uses her litterbox religiously for pee and poo)

Should I be concerned about her vomit (it seems like a one time thing) and the hair loss?

Thank you forumers in advance
Mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Default Re: Vomitting and other concerns

Were any of the pieces she spit up fairly sizable? Maybe she got choked on a big piece and vomited? When I have a hedgehog get sick I start watching them like a hawk. If it happens again, they go to the vet for a checkup. It does not take long at all for a hedgehog to become dehydrated if they are vomiting often.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

the hair loss could be attributed to a change of food. When did you first notice the hair loss? Are her poops at all stinky?
azyrios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know that shes not dehydrated because after she puked she started drinking tons of water. I don't have the vomit saved (i should have put it in a bag), but I do not recall any big pieces. I noticed hair loss a couple of days ago. EDIT: Her poop smells really bad, but its more of a light brown than a green tint. whats shockign is she didnt poo in her litterbox this time, but instead in her pipe which makes no sense to me...

she has not vomitted again since then
Old 04-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

she may be allergic to the wellness.
Wellness is very rich food and some hedgehogs cannot digest it fully, which is the smelly poop. It may also have an ingredient that is causing the hair loss.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I took her to the vet just in case. good thing i did too, she apparently had a really bad bacterial infection of her gastrointestinal tract. She peed blood when she was there so good thing i got her there in time. She's on some anti-biotics now so I hope for a quick recovery! Really worried though, shes not drinking as much water as I hoped but I believe its because they gave her fluids right before she left the vet!
Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm glad you got her to the vet! I hope your little girl gets better fast. Give her lots of love!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
It may also have an ingredient that is causing the hair loss.
Which ingredient is this? (just curious)

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Mcliu, I'm glad you found out what the problem was. As always, whenever there is a concern a vet visit is the best way to proceed. I wish everyone was as concerned and willing to get a vets diagnoses as you have been.

azyrios, I too am curious what food ingredient would cause hair loss?

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardGirl
Quote:
It may also have an ingredient that is causing the hair loss.
Which ingredient is this? (just curious)
Just like humans are allergic to peanuts, a hedgehog should be theory be able to be allergic to something weird as well. Where Wellness is to rich for one hedgehog, it is perfectly fine with another. Thus it leads me to believe if some hedgehogs are okay when eating a food, and others loose hair when eating it, they are allergic to an ingredient in it. Since there are so many ingredients he could be allergic to anything, possibly cranberries, possibly flax seed, possibly chicken. It is really to hard to say.

Even trace amounts of peanuts can kill a human, so it could even be one of the trace ingredients.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in