How Many Hours of Dark Do Hedgehogs Need? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb How Many Hours of Dark Do Hedgehogs Need?

Hello,
So I live in a one bedroom, one bathroom house with a living area. My hedgehog used to be in my room but girlfriend is a light sleeper so now the cage is in the living area. The only issue this poses is that I used to enjoy late night video game binges on the weekend but obviously I can't do this anymore because my hedgehog needs time to run around and be active in the dark. Currently I go to bed at midnight on the weekends (so that is when lights go out) and the sun is currently rising at around 7am where I live. So my question is exactly how many hours of dark do hedgehogs need to be active and nocturnal? Is 7 hours enough? Thanks!
hayden_squared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I also live in a one bedroom apartment with separate living/kitchen area and this is where our hedgehog cage is set up. Hedgehogs should have about 11-12 hours of light (this is what they would naturally get in the wild). Light should be provided by artificial light (a lamp etc) since sunlight is not consistent enough. I use an over hanging floor lamp on a timer and do 12hrs light and 12hours dark.

I also go to bed around 11.30pm-12am on week days and this is when lights go out and our boy has his night time play. Before that we get him out around 10pm and have the lights dimmed (he normally wants to hide under a blanket anyways and just snooze on us ^^). Since it's winter and pretty cold where we live his cage is covered up with blankets (except for a small section at the top of his cage above the CHE fixture to avoid any fires and allow air ventilation) so this keeps his cage dark until midday when his light timer comes on, but he is already fast asleep by 7-8am anyways and only wakes up briefly for his morning kibble.

Could you partially cover up his cage or put curtains/blinds in the room where your hedghog is so his cage stays darker for longer in the morning? Also try covering his cage at night when you do stay up late and have tv sound on low/use headphones and this shouldn't interrupt him hopefully...

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 02-20-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
active, activity, dark, nocturnal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in