Bump On My Hedgehog's Face - Tumor? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Talking Bump On My Hedgehog's Face - Tumor?

My hedgehog, Pigwidgeon, has a hard bump under his eye. It's been there for about a week and doesn't seem to have changed in size. It seems to only be external. He's eating normally and his energy level seems good. I'm planning to take him to the vet on monday our tuesday, but I'm hoping for some input/opinions until then. I'm pretty worried because I know cancer is prevalent in hedgehogs. He is only 1.5 years old. I'm attaching a picture so you can see. It's under his left eye.
Attached Images
File Type: tiff REALPIG.tiff (131.0 KB, 166 views)
ebaile1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bump On My Hedgehog's Face - Tumor?

I took him to the vet yesterday and no tumor! The doctor sedated him to look in his mouth and found that one of his teeth fell out and he has an abscess because of it. She was able to remove some of the pus and sent me home with antibiotics. He'll be on them twice a day for ten days. I gave him his first dose and he really hated the idea of having a syringe put in his mouth, but the doctor said it is supposed to taste good, so hopefully he'll be more inclined to take it the second time. He's still eating and drinking normally, so hopefully his recovery will be speedy! Also, the whole visit including sedation and medicine only cost me $93, so I'm very thankful for that! His vet is the best!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

That is wonderful news! I'm glad it wasn't anything serious

Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

I'm glad it was nothing too serious.

Often what the vet says is supposed to taste good, hedgies have differing views. You can mix the meds with a tiny amount of something he likes to help cut the taste. Suck the prescribed amount of meds up into the syringe, then suck up a tiny amount of something yummy. Suck up a bit of air and then put your finger over the end and give it a good shake. Usually mixing with something else works well.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

whew. glad its not super serious and the vet visit went well! Good luck with the syringe feeding. If you felt the vet was knowledgeable and experience with hedgies, you should post the recommendation on the tread for vets recommendation, sounds like a reasonable price
AngelaH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Pig has been on his antibiotics for 9 days now and tomorrow is supposed to be his last day. However, his abscess hasn't gotten any smaller. He's still eating normally and has a good energy level, so I don't think it's gotten worse. But I'm really not sure what to do. Should my vet have drained it completely before sending us home? Will he need surgery? Will it go down gradually?

The lump is really hard, almost bone-like. I really need some advice on what to do next. I don't really want to shell out more money to go back to the vet unless he needs to. Or should I try seeing a different vet for a second opinion? I'm a little lost feeling right now. I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in