water consumption - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cool water consumption

Oliver drinks a TON of water!! We have to fill his bowl twice a day! And its a pretty big bowl! My mom thinks he has diabetes or something, can they even get diabetes? I know other animals can, we had a dog once who had diabetes but this is a 1 1/2 year old hog, is this a possiblity? He's still active and everythong but just in case

[/url

Dallas Came Home April 21st 2012
Shade and Oliver came Home September 9th 2012

http://spiritwolves1.deviantart.com/
SpiritWolves1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: water consumption

Lots of water is good! Water is mother earth's natural medicine. It flushes your system and cleans out bacteria I doubt there's anything wrong with him

Ladies

Gentlemen
Tabi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

okay thanks! my mom was kind of worried about him, since Dallas has " mites" we got treatment for oliver too, but not for shade yet because of her possible pregnancy, hes a good boy, he acts like a rat though! he is so much like a rat its scary! hes got the tattered ears, never curls up, adn i mean NEVER( even if you want him too), and hes always running around, its so hard to keep track of him!

[/url

Old 09-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does he have polyuria, polydypsia as well?
laurentj23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Translation PU = peeing lots, PD = drinking lots.
How much exactly is it? Yes, pets CAN drink too much water, and it CAN be a sign of a problem(kidneys come to mind first).
Are you sure he isn't spilling?
Is he peeing as much as he is drinking?
If not on already, I would suggest white liners to be able to SEE if there are large puddles of urine.

Has he always drank this much? If it was a sudden or eventual onset since you got him, it would be considered PD, and may be abnormal.
Though if it truly is a large bowl, it does seem suspicious, and I wouldn't be above suggesting getting a him looked at. 3 tests that pop to mind immediately are urinalysis(checking for concentration, pH, crystals, can sometimes give indication to kidney function), blood tests(give more insight on internal organs), xray(many times, can see stuff like kidney stones, bladder stones, enlarged kidney, shrivelled/dead kidney) just stuff that may give you more of an idea.

But first, I would measure out exactly how much he is drinking. And also put his water bowl in top of a few sheets of paper towels(paper towels crimple when it dries from being wet, you can even hide the paper towel under the liners if he may be the type of pull at the paper towel). Then also compare the amount of water to your other two. If there really is a huge difference, and he's approximately the same size, you may want to think of going for a checkup.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well I can't really tell if he pees a lot, he's not litter trained and he has 3 levels in his cage ( wood levels, were buying shelf liner to cover them with) so that soaks up a lot Ewwy but he doesn't spill because the shelf with water on its always clean! He will not use the bathroom on it. So I'll start measureing the water and everything

[/url

Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

"Oliver drinks a TON of water!! We have to fill his bowl twice a day!"

It will definitely help to quantify the amount by measuring.
.................................................. ...........

My girl drank lots as a baby, about 1/4 cup (12 tsp) a night. When her metabolism leveled off (growth rate) her consumption dropped to a mere tablespoon (3 tsp). This is so little that I had to buy a graduated cylinder from a laboratory supply house and now measure her water in ml (she takes in 12ml - 20ml a night). So I have the opposite problem of "drinks a TON". She's been at this level for months now and seems happy and healthy. She is a big time runner, but it doesn't seem to bother her.

I don't get to see her pee very often; occasionally when getting a foot and belly bath, and it always looks fine. (She's getting some additional moisture from 1/2 ounce baby food, but that's not adding much.)
Erizo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in