Help :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help :(

So my baby lexa has been sick for a little while now. She won't eat or drink on her own and I'm having to give her multiple meds a day and syringe feed her 3 times a day. She keeps losing weight and won't gain any at all, lately she's been weighing around 190-200 grams which is extremely low. We're at the vet every week if not more than once a week, I've spent almost over a grand in vet bills and she's just continuing to suffer. The last 2 days she will barely let me put the syringe in her mouth anymore and hides under her wheel when I put her back in her cage, the vets are still trying to figure out what's wrong as she's only 1 year old and nothing shows up on the tests they do. It pains me to see her everyday with the little energy and hiding from me because she knows she's going to be poked and prodded every few hours. Now the answer I'm looking for is how do you ask your vet to put her down? I just don't want her to suffer anymore
Lexa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 01:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to hear your girl is sick
What is actually wrong with her, why she is on multiple medications? Is her sickness because she won't eat/drink? How are her other behaviours? Is she still active at night time when she is alone, running, pooping etc?
I'm sure you've probably tried ruling out all possible food issues but you haven't mentioned it so if you haven't already try opening a fresh bag of her kibble, stale kibble has been know to be a cause for food strikes. Has she always been on the same kibble? Sometimes ingredients change and this can also cause problems if they only eat one kind rather than a mix of 2-3 kibble brands.

Try also offering her kibble soaked in a little water (boiled first) as could she have a mouth or teeth issue, has the vet ruled this out already? Is there anything that she loves to eat (live or canned mealies, cooked meats or fruit/vegs) that you could add to her kibble to tempt her to eat it? Mix the treat with her kibble and offer on a small dish in her bed area or wherever she feels safe (try the food dry and wet) and try offering it this way, she might be more persuaded this way to eat on her own (weigh the food dish before and after so you know how much she consumes). Of course still syringe feed if she won't eat like this on her own but it's worth a shot if you haven't already tried it. This is how I got my boy to eat again. Also by adding water to kibble helps to keep them hydrated if they don't drink a lot. Try also scattering kibble in her bed area during the night and day and see if she'll eat them this way. Always offer fresh kibble everyday and throw out uneaten food.

You haven't mentioned about her heating or light schedules, does she have both and are they regular and stable? The absence or insufficiency of either can also lead to issues, like lack of appetite and lethargy. If you want more advice on both just ask

I hope you find a breakthrough and can save your little girl ♡

Last edited by Yukidama's mama; 01-03-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in