Help! Hedgehog not eating, drinking, running on wheel, but seems fine - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By shinydistraction
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By nikki
  • 1 Post By CasperOlive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Help! Hedgehog not eating, drinking, running on wheel, but seems fine

Hi all, I've got some questions about my two year old hedgehog, Olive.

She is not eating, drinking, or even running on her wheel. I don't see any/much poop in her cage or on her wheel. She is still very energetic and her usual self, running and climbing around when shes out. Just isn't doing anything in her cage. This has been going on for at least 5 days.

The vet has done a full exam, and everything is fine (heart and lungs sound good, teeth look fine, no bloating or unusual lumps in stomach, she's a healthy weight, etc) so he told me that it may be a case of her not eating --> she feels sick, feeling sick --> not eating, all in a cycle. I have been giving her water through a syringe (though she is very stubborn and is not taking much). I have softened her food with water but she has not touched it. The vet told me that she may be associating her current food with not feeling well, so I should try a new one.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do, like food suggestions or how to make her drink through a syringe? I was thinking a wet food, but I don't know where to start. She currently eats a cat food, none of that terrible hedgehog kibble.

I'm really stuck on how to help her, since I already took her to the vet but wasn't given many suggestions other than to keep doing what I am doing and maybe switch her food. Does anybody have any tips on how to help her?

Again, she is two years old and hasn't had any issues like this before. She has been on her food for at least a year now, so that is not new. On another note, she does not seem to be hibernating since her belly is warm, she is active outside her cage, and her room is nice and warm too. Other hedgehog of mine is not having any of these issues. This vet is an exotic vet who knows how to deal with hedgehogs.

Sorry for the long post, I just need some help. Thanks!
CasperOlive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

How old is the bag of food? If it's not a fresh bag, it might be that it's gone stale. If it is a fresh bag, it might be that the formula changed and now tastes different and now she doesn't like it.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to start syringe feeding NOW. Hedgehogs can develop fatty liver disease in as few as 3 days of not eating. Here is a link to the syringe feeding post. Not eating is an emergency.

https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html
CasperOlive likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Her bag of food is still pretty fresh, but not brand new so I don't think it's stale or a new formula.

I began syringe feeding her last night, giving her food I ground up in a coffee grinder mixed with water. She didn't take much that night, but I left it in her hut and the bowl was messy so I think she may have had some. I've given her more this morning and she is getting more used to it, but is still pretty stubborn. She is eating it though!

She is still active as ever, she was just running around not even 10 minutes ago- I just put her back in her hut to sleep. Still no sign of poop, but I did see pee on her wheel.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

You need to feed her around 24mls of food a day and make sure to leave food in her cage all the time.
CasperOlive likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've left both her solid food and the wet food in her hut, so she has access to both.

I'll do my best to get lots in her! I got 2.5-3ml in her this first time, and will be trying more in a few. I'm also trying to not stress her out too much, but I understand that I need to do what needs to be done for her, even if 24ml is a lot.

I'm a bit more optimistic now. Thank you!
nikki likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in