Hedgehog Health Help!!!! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Hedgehog Health Help!!!!

Hi. Mr. Maus is 4 years, 4 months. He has been a very healthy hedgehog. Over the last couple of days, I've noticed he has not been eating very much. This evening when I took him out of his cage, I noticed he was dragging his back legs and seemed wobbly. He also did not hiss although he did roll up into a ball. I tugged gently on his hind legs and did not noticed attempted withdrawal from pain when I did so, no swelling anywhere. I attributed his weakness to lack of nutrition so I hauled tail to CVS and got a syringe. I was able to get about 5ml of crushed cat food, his usual, into him. I noticed his movement seemed more fluid and he was dragging his legs less. I then put him back in his cage with some meal worms and water. I noticed he urinated small amounts twice; once right after he got up and once after I force fed him. I noticed he sneezed about 4 times I am aware of over the last couple of days, no cloudy discharge and I did not notice him working to breathe. I am an RN so while I can't use my stethoscope to listen to his chest, when I hold him up to my ear, I don't hear rattling. I was wondering what advice you all have. I am on the fence about taking him to the vet. I don't have a car, although I can uber or lyft, and there is a hog vet in my city. I have never taken him. While we have had some health scares (attempted hibernation caught early and reversed; constipation fixed with pumpkin that he now gets daily), he seems to get better. I figured I would continue to syringe feed him and see if he improves. Are these behaviors consistent with a hedgehog at the end of life? Any insight would be appreciated.
kmricketts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

This sounds like something that needs to be treated. To me it doesn't sound like he's at the end of his life. He could have mouth issues that are causing him to not eat, which could explain the weakness in the back end.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in