Hedgehog passed away - bad food choice?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nikki

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hedgehog passed away - bad food choice??

This morning my hedgehog Gatsby passed away. I had had him for a month, and he was about 14 weeks old. It still doesn't feel real.

I've been talking to the breeder, and she's saying he died because of the food I was giving him, because the fat percent was too high. The food in question was Blue Buffolo healthy aging cat food. It had 32% protein and 15% fat.

When i asked my breeder today, she said it needed to be between 7% -15% fat, most commonly 12%. However when I was first researching food for my hedgehog, high fat was never mentioned on websites as a cause for concern. If fact, many of the sites and forums said high fat was good for baby hedgehog as they are still growing, saying you can go above 15%. These same sites only mentioned high protein as being dangerous.

My breeder, however, mentioned higher protein being good for baby hedgehogs, but not fat. What she's saying is the opposite of what everyone else has said, and I don't know what to do. I really really hope it was not my fault in food choice. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of food?

For more information on it:
I have not taken him to get a necropsy, and I might not because of the expense, but the vet wasn't entirely sure what went wrong. He died while at the vet, and they only mentioned a congenital heart or lung problem as a possible cause.
Adamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Many people feed that food with no problems. It wasn't the food. To me it sounds like the breeder is trying to blame you just to cover their butt.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ktb

That sounds incredibly sketchy to me. Plenty of hedgie owners use that food as well as the brand. It sounds like the baby might have been ill and she doesn't want to tell you that.
Ktb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like a shady breeder. I feed my hedgehog Blue Buffalo and haven't had a problem.
wendythehedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I talked more with my my breeder, and she took back the statement of the food being the problem. She told me that everyone else in his same litter has been doing fine, and that she doesn't know what might have caused it.
Adamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Does she offer a health guarantee? I always had a 3 month health guarantee when I was breeding and most breeders I know do the same.
Quillys_Mom_Punky likes this.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in