PLEASE HELP! Hedgehog most likely dead :( - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy PLEASE HELP! Hedgehog most likely dead :(

Hi guys.. I'm new here. Just got a 5 month old male hedgie about 4 days ago. Let me put some context in here first:

- I noticed he had mites since he was in the pet shop
- Upon reaching my place he started sneezing and licking his nose (there was a clear discharge)
- He had noisy breathing which I think was from the discharge
- Green sticky poop

I read that I should get my hedgie checked right away if it's showing signs of sickness (though I was hoping that it was just from the stress of a new environment).
On the 3rd day I brought it to the vet. Vet gave it Revolution for the mites, antibiotics for the cold, and antihistamines for the itch.
Something felt off about the doses but I double checked with my dad who is a doctor and he can confirm that the volume in the syringes (that the vet gave) were indeed correct.
I washed the whole cage, changed the food, cleaned the environment, etc. to ensure no more mites were around.
My hedgie was drowsy (I assume it was from the antihistamines) and slept on/off a lot. But otherwise it was active when awake.

Morning of the 4th day, I found it lying down on its stomach with its legs tucked underneath, not breathing, eyes closed, not responding to touch (I nudged it slowly with a blunt object). I was devastated!! I swore I was doing everything right! I made sure to check and check and check if it was in torpor or.. gone. I finally had the courage to lift it up and it was rigid and cool to the touch...

I live in a tropical country so I doubt temperature was the cause. I'm not sure if it was the stress, meds, sickness, or anything else that have caused it to die. I'm very sad right now and I would like to know what may have caused it to be like this, and what I can do in the future if I got a new hedgehog.
NKumiko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm sorry you lost your hedgie so quickly. Unfortunately it sounds like his respiratory infection was pretty far along, possibly even pneumonia at this point. That can easily kill a hedgehog. It doesn't sound like it was your fault - you tried to get him to the vet fast and got him the medication he needed. The pet store was at fault here, as they didn't take notice of the signs he was showing or get him taken care of sooner. They also shouldn't have sold him to you sick.

If you're up for it, you could try going to the pet store about it - take the veterinary bill & diagnosis and point out that he was sick at the store. You could at least get some of your money back, possibly. But I would avoid getting another hedgehog or animal from that store in the future. If you decide you'd like another hedgehog, it'd be a good idea to see if you can find a reputable breeder in the area to adopt a hedgehog from. I hope your next experience goes better. ♥

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in