HELP!!! Post Emergency Spay Sneezing - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HELP!!! Post Emergency Spay Sneezing

My baby Sandwich is a little over 3 years old and recently had an emergency spay. Back story, a few weeks ago I saw blood everywhere in her cage, after going to the vet, they determined the blood was in her urine. Gave me 2 weeks of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs, then I did a follow up to test her urine. She didn't per on that visit so their suggestion was to bring her back to stay a half day and they'd collect urine then. The morning I took her started bad, she had been looking better and even wheeling, no change in appetite or anything. But tgat morning she vomited the whole way to the vets, I've never seen her vomit ever. She also had poop and bright green stuff with the poop. Her pee still had blood in it. It was awful to watch. I rushed her in , but no vets were there yet. Then they called me and said an x-ray revealed her uterus had masses and her ovaries had cysts. I okayed the surgery and then they said she had trouble waking up. I picked her up last night and have been keeping her super warm. She became more alert and super thirsty. I have always used a dish for her water because I heard bottles were bad for them. Well she still seemed woozy while drinking last night and this morning, I think she may have aspirated some water. I'm so worried. She wasn't sneezing though until this afternoon. It started right after I fed her a syringe of food mix they made me pick up and start feeding her. Maybe she aspirated food? I just don't know. But definatly sneezing, runny nose . I can't see a get until Monday when they're back and honestly I don't know what to do. I don't want her to die, but the 3 appointments have cost me $1000. All my December rent. I love her and it's breaking my heart I can't help her, but I dont know what to do. Even if I had money, no one open on Sunday sees exotics.
Sandwich's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Also I took the water dish out and bought a bottle but I'm not sure she know how to drink from it
Old 12-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hopefully someone more experience will reply soon. Does she have antibiotics now for her post operation or were they given a few weeks ago? If so and she has gotten a URI they should help clear it up but perhaps some food or water did go up her nose and is causing her to sneeze, it happens to my boy sometimes since he eats watery food. I'd monitor her very closely and keep her nice and warm until you can go to the vets. Maybe don't feed so much in one feeding session if she is aspirating it but of course give whatever dose you need to give if she is on medicine. How are you feeding the syringe, through the side of the mouth? Is it a big syringe, perhaps too much is coming out for her to handle? I don't have experience syringe feeding so maybe check out the syringe feeding tutorial on here. I'd also put her water dish back in, so she does have easy access, just don't fill it so high perhaps. Re the sickness on the way to the vet, it can be common for them to get motion sickness, my boy always does when I put him in his carry case and the green poop would indicate stress, which is normal so hopefully that's not something to worry about but see what more experienced members say. Hoping she recovers soon ♡ keep us posted.
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here's the syringe feeding link:
https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html
Yukidama's mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you for responding. Yes she has antibiotics, meticam and a b vitamin (because she was so anemic). I've syringe fed using smalls and medicine before. But the **** ones they gave me for food are huge. I usually go in on the side of her mouth, but I honestly don't remember with the food first try today, because I was so upset they said I had to syringe feed her in the first place. I know
I should maintain composure but it's hard. Thank you again
Old 12-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

If she's already on antibiotics they should take care of any URI. If she doesn't see better by Monday I would call and let them know what's going on. You should be able to get smaller syringes from any store that has a pharmacy in it. Just explain what you want them for. If she starts eating on her own them I would stop syringe feeding her.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you. Should I let them know anyway? Will she need more antibiotics to effectively heal both her surgery and the URI? Btw sneezing all last night
Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

My hedgehog also seemed sniffly after her surgery less than two weeks ago. She was not on any antibiotics, so I took her in. The vet gave us something that has better penetration for URI stuff rather than a broad-spectrum pill. So the answer is, it really depends. How long has she been on the antibiotics now?
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Technically about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks because if the original antibiotics they gave her. Since surgery, just 2 days.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

I would let the vet know about the sneezing just to be on the safe side.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in