Cold Hedgehog - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cold Hedgehog

Ive had Nutmeg for about 9 months now and shes been doing really well till a little while ago. A couple weeks ago I went to check on Nutmeg and she was in hibernation I quickly started heating her up. She seemed fine once she was warm again so I put her back in her home. The temperature was fine about 27 degrees celsius so I was confused why she went into hibernation. The next day I went to check on her again and she was really cold, she was always sleeping and never got up, the only way she would eat was if I woke her up and put her by the food bowl. Then I found out about the light cycles and noticed they were messed up so I got a cycle going from 7:00am to 9:00pm. She was doing great for a while there eating and pooping and excersizing and I thought I had fixed the problem. A week later I went to check on her and she was hibernating again!!! I was so confused i made sure the temparatures were good( and the were). Every time i go to check on her now she has the sniffles and is cold. I really need help, what should i do, whats the problem!!

Any advice would be great!!!!
Nutmeg The Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Vet time! Sounds like she may have gotten a URI from the initial hibernation attempts. If she's sick & not feeling good, it can be easier for them to keep slipping into attempts because of the stress on their body. Definitely get her in as soon as you can to get her checked & start antibiotics if she does have an infection.

One question about the heating - does the temperature stay pretty much around 27C or does it vary at all? Do you know what kind of range there is in her cage? And is her cage near an outside wall, windows, or any vents where she might be getting a draft?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Her cage is near a window but i never open it and no cold air gets in. The temperatures fluxuate quite a bit so maybe that's the problem. Ive been trying to make it stay at the same temperature.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That's very likely the problem. Large drops in temperature, even within the usual "safe" range, can cause a hibernation attempt just as easily as temps that are too low. Are you positive there isn't any cold drafts near the window? I know there are in my apartment. If you want to be sure or if you do notice it a bit cooler, you can use this stuff to cover the window & help insulate it better - https://www.amazon.com/Duck-281504-5...dp/B000NHY1P0/.

With as often as she's attempting hibernation, I would either do that ASAP, bump your house temp up, or move her cage to a warmer room/location, if there is one.

What kind of heating system are you using? Do you have a thermostat with it? Or is the temperature fluctuating due to house temp fluctuation? Maybe a space heater in the room where her cage is would help?

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

I recently put a space heater near her cage and so I hope that will help. Ive checked for drafts from the window and theres none, so i think its the temparature changing.

Thanks so much for helping I hope my little Nutmeg gets better!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in