Not Eating/Potential Teeth, Mouth Issues? - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilysmommy
  • 2 Post By jamandbiscuits16

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2017, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Not Eating/Potential Teeth, Mouth Issues?

So my little guy has been having a lot of issues eating the past month or so. My girlfriend (who is a vet tech) helped me look him over and we found he's lost a lot of teeth. I started to wet his food down to make it more palatable for him and that seemed to help for a little bit. I am counting the kibbles (about 15) I put in his bowl each day so that I can closely monitor how much he is eating. Lately, there have been days where he eats about six or seven. There have been a couple days where he hardly eats them at all. He has consistently been pooping, peeing, and running, though. I have noticed weight loss, though.

He's also been chewing his food/mealies when I try to hand feed it to him and then spitting them back out. I am starting to suspect that he may have some mouth/throat issues? He's a little over three years old, so not incredibly old, but nearing that 3.5 average....so just curious if this is normal for older hedgies or if something more is up. I'm fairly limited on funds and want to avoid a vet visit if possible. He had a surgery over the summer for a proptosed eye, which he had removed. He was fine following the surgery for several months, but now things aren't looking so good again.

Any advice? Anybody else experience tooth loss with hedgehogs/other mouth issues? Is this related to age/should I prepare for potential anesthesia?
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It really sounds like it'd be a good idea to get him to the vet & have his mouth, teeth, and throat thoroughly looked at & an x-ray done if you can. You could possibly look into getting CareCredit, which is a credit card specifically for healthcare/veterinary expenses & easy to apply for. Check with your vet to make sure they take it, but a lot do.

Since he's not eating enough, I would also start syringe-feeding, carefully. There's more info on that here - https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forum...ng-sticky.html I would suggest trying to get Carnivore Care as it can be made thinner more easily than Hills A/D, so he may have an easier time swallowing it if he is having issues with that. You could also use baby food for a couple days until you can get one of the syringing diets - I would mix a meat food like chicken or turkey together with squash/pumpkin & maybe another veggie or fruit. Thin it out a little with water if needed to make it easier for him to swallow. Make sure you go slowly & pay attention to if he's swallowing or not so he doesn't choke. And give him water along with the food - I usually do 1-2ml at the beginning of a feeding, then again at the end until they're done.

For at night, you can keep giving him his regular food, but I would also put out some of whatever you're syringe-feeding, and maybe try some pate-style wet cat food as well & see if he can eat that any easier.
nikki likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

We are trying pate style food ( he seems to like this so far) and syringe feeding. Some days he eats really well and some days are just a little harder. Still running and going to the bathroom like usual. Has a lot of energy, so that’s good.

I love my little old man and am hoping we can get through this. We’re in year number four, so that’s always tough from what I’ve heard. Thank you so much for the advice!
jamandbiscuits16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Update: Looks like we might have some tumor growth going on. I'm having a super tough time with this. Taking him in this week to be tested for oral cancer. I know these guys are super susceptible to that sort of thing, but I'm still bummed about it anyway. It's been really tough the past few months. Was hopeful we could keep going a little bit longer...hoping for the best. :c
Old 12-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry. That's what I just lost my Pancake to as well. It really sucks! Sending good thoughts to you guys. ♥ I hope he stays comfortable with you guys for a while longer so you can spoil him lots.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dental, health, mouth, teeth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in