Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   over grown nails and under weight (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17872)

SpiritWolves1 09-10-2012 07:21 PM

over grown nails and under weight

Shade and Oliver both have over grown nails and are underweight, but Oliver's nails are curling u into his paws, and he ate pretty much hotdogs for half a year and who knows what for the first year, shade and oliver were eatig whiskas cat food, and so now they have overgrown nails and are underweight.

Oliver's weight- 365g
Shades weight- 371g
Oliver's age- 1 1/2 years roughly
Shades age- 9 months

Is this okay??

They made shade for 3 months and oliver for 6 1/2 or so months. Also oliver is tiny. Like he's way smaller then shade and way way smaller then Dallas.

Dallas's age- 9 months
Dallas's weight- 485g

Lilysmommy 09-10-2012 08:18 PM

Re: over grown nails and under weight

49 Attachment(s)
We can't tell anything by the age/weight. Remember, it all depends on the hedgehog's body shape. It'd be more helpful if you could post pictures of the new ones, from the side and from above. :) But it sounds like they'll definitely some much better nutrition, poor things...especially the female in case she's pregnant.

moxieberry 09-10-2012 08:40 PM

Ditto to what Lilysmommy said. Mid-300s isn't automatically underweight - plenty of hedgehogs plateau around there. It all depends on the individual bodytype. The most obvious indication would be if either of them feel or look sunken in at the sides. Definitely get them on some better food though, it's about time they were getting fed well.

For the nails, do the best you can, but if they're really that bad and curled into his feet, you'd be better off going to a vet to get them clipped - especially since he doesn't know you and probably won't be very cooperative, and it can be really difficult to get a good angle when they're that bad. My suggestion for trying to trim them yourself would be to see if you can snip a little at a time, inside of trying to clip at the "correct length" all at once. Once you get them a little shorter (comparatively) you'll be able to see what you're doing better and have more room to maneuver the clippers, whereas when they're badly curled it would be difficult to cut a large chunk of the nail off in one snip. Hopefully that makes sense. Good luck! :)

SpiritWolves1 09-10-2012 08:54 PM

I'll take pictures tonight and I'll post them. I should just make them a fb account XD Dallas Shade - oliver k. Haha and yes with the age and stuff I knew it wouldn't help much but I find it so odd that they weigh so little for their bodies and age.